Wordfast freezes and Word crashes when moving from one source segment to the next
Thread poster: Momoka
Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:03
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 12, 2006

Hi, all.

I'm using Wordfast version 5.22u1 on Windows XP (Japanese, Office 2003). After upgrading to this version it happens just too often that Wordfast freezes and Word crashes when moving from one source segment to the next while translating. No difference wether I use shortcuts or the icon.
Word does the automatic recovering each time to no avail, since I always have to go back and retranslate everything I didn't save before the freezing and crashing...thank God translations remain in the TM.
Sometimes the problem appears again in the same segment; some others, two or three segments ahead. It's gotten really annoying.
I remember having read about some Windows update interfering with Wordfast, which led me to do a search in the forums (Wordfast Windows updates) but nothing came up.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance,

Diana

[Edited at 2006-07-12 04:13]

[Edited at 2006-07-12 04:14]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I downgraded to 5.0 Jul 12, 2006

With later version I encountered some problems, so I installed Wf 5.0az and use it without problem.
I can send you my version, if you have lost your old ones.
Regards
Heinrich

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Older versions Jul 12, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I can send you my version, if you have lost your old ones.
Regards
Heinrich

Thank you, Heinrich. I searched my folders and found that I still have the wf_51 zip file (don't know exactly which version it is). Will try installing that one and giving it a try as soon as I can; if there is still any problem, will contact you about your version.

Regards,

Diana

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Downgraded... Jul 12, 2006

.....to version 5.18d (which I found in an old folder) and everything is working well, so far. Thank you for the hint, Heinrich!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Good to know... Jul 12, 2006

that some newer versions seem to work too

By the way, are there any new useful functions in the most recent versions? To me it seems Wordfast delivers all I need, so I did not bother to check out the newer versions.
Regards
Heinrich

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't tell... Jul 12, 2006

I don't download newer versions too often either since, like you, I've always felt satisfied with what I get from the version I have...whichever it is (and whenever it works!).

Anyway, If you'd like to give a try I can send you a copy of my file, anytime. Just let me know.

Regards,

Diana

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:03
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast update strategy Jul 12, 2006

I update every time I see a new version, even beta versions. Of course I back up my TMs and glossaries all the time. The Wordfast user base and public feedback mechanisms are such that you can safely download any new version three days after it's been published at www.wordfast.net

I do keep a library of Wordfast zip files. When I'm happy with a certain release, I just add 'good' to the file name. I've resorted to a 'good' release only once or twice in all the years I've been using Wordfast. After a month or two I delete the old zips. Rumour has it that Yves Champollion deletes them after two days.

Regards,
Gerard

Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
newest version out Jul 13, 2006

yesterday Yves issued a new version that solves a glitch with Dragos, and seems to be stable with large files !

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wise Jul 13, 2006

Gerard de Noord wrote:

I do keep a library of Wordfast zip files.

Will do that, at least with versions I feel comfortable with.

Thanks.

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will take a look at that Jul 13, 2006

Pablo Grosschmid wrote:

yesterday Yves issued a new version that solves a glitch with Dragos, and seems to be stable with large files !

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Try copying and pasting the whole document Jul 13, 2006

This has happened to me a few times, but in my experience it seems to be document-specific rather than a problem with WF itself (in that the doc I've translated before and the one I go on to translate afterwards are trouble-free).

So far I've always managed to get round it by copying and pasting the whole document and saving it as new, or if that doesn't work, I've made a note of the problem segment, deleted it and the returns above and below it and typed it back in again. Very low-tech solutions but they've got me out of trouble.

Edit: I see you've solved your problem by downgrading - but maybe this'll be useful for someone else...

[Edited at 2006-07-13 12:20]

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Me too Jul 13, 2006

Thank you, Marie-Helene.

Marie-Helene Hayles wrote:

This has happened to me a few times, but in my experience it seems to be document-specific rather than a problem with WF itself (in that the doc I've translated before and the one I go on to translate afterwards are trouble-free).

Yes, when it started to happen I though it was a problem with the document, too (some formatting made by the agency or the customer). At least this time it was solved by downgrading but, who knows...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast freezes and Word crashes when moving from one source segment to the next

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs