https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/51656-wordfast_and_translation_memory.html

Wordfast and translation memory
Thread poster: Laurent 1973 (X)
Laurent 1973 (X)
Laurent 1973 (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 17:06
English to French
+ ...
Jul 20, 2006

Back in June I translated a rather large document using Wordfast. If I remember well, the translation memory had over 150 translation units (TUs). Now that I want to use the same memory again, it tells me that it has 89 TUs. I don't remember deleting TUs when I finished the first translation. Does anyone have any idea on what might have happened?

Thanks,
Laurent

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
150 TUs is kinda small... Jul 20, 2006

Laurent 1973 wrote:
Back in June I translated a rather large document using Wordfast. If I remember well, the translation memory had over 150 translation units (TUs).

Only 150 TUs? That's not very big... are you sure about your numbers here?

Samuel

Laurent 1973 (X)
Laurent 1973 (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Precision Jul 20, 2006

I should specify that segments were very long (very long sentences, enventually I decided to use semi-colons as segment delimiters) and there were many repetitions, so the document turned out to be pretty long. Anyway, I was just wondering if someone had experienced partial losses of TUs without doing anything special to rationalize the translation memory. I'm new to Wordfast and I'm still struggling a bit.

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Run the text through Wordfast again Jul 24, 2006

Like Sam says, 150 TUs is not very big, even if you have long sentences.
However, if you have the time, simply run the original text through Wordfast again. Assuming the TM is OK, you'll get 'green' translations click by click (it won't take long).

When you clean the document, Wordfast normally removes invalid (subsequently corrected) segments. If you open the TM with an editor, invalid segments have 'xx' at the beginning of the line.

HTH John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and translation memory

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »