Wf segment markers and changing TM to Trados
Thread poster: Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:26
French to English
Jul 27, 2006

I have been using Wordfast for 18 months now and have always had a major problem with the segment marker for the end of the target segment. This marker seems to be intimately related with the last character of the target segment which is often of course a punctuation mark. This has several consequences.
When I switch the order of words and place a new word between the last word of the segment and the segment marker the text segmentation goes haywire when I move on to the next segment and I
... See more
I have been using Wordfast for 18 months now and have always had a major problem with the segment marker for the end of the target segment. This marker seems to be intimately related with the last character of the target segment which is often of course a punctuation mark. This has several consequences.
When I switch the order of words and place a new word between the last word of the segment and the segment marker the text segmentation goes haywire when I move on to the next segment and I have to edit the segment markers.
It also means that very often target segments go into the TM without their last letter or the punctuation mark.
Does anyone have similar problems?

Incidentally , because of this very annoying problem which doesn’t occur with Trados, I wanted to change but found that it is very difficult to transfer my Wf translation memories as the language codes are different. To change them by doing a find-replace is impossible as once the TM have been converted to TMX format they don’t open in Word. They can only be opened in “notepad” and find-replace with notepad takes hours and hours and my computer blocs beforehand.

[Edited at 2006-07-27 10:30]
Collapse

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Easy Workarounds & Use EditPlus as Text Editor Jul 27, 2006

NR_Stedman wrote:

When I switch the order of words and place a new word between the last word of the segment and the segment marker the text segmentation goes haywire when I move on to the next segment and I have to edit the segment markers.
It also means that very often target segments go into the TM without their last letter or the punctuation mark.
Does anyone have similar problems?

Nope... don't have this problem. But an easy workaround is to not use cut/paste for words at the end OR strategically make the cut before the last character, using the arrow keys in combination with "Shift" to highlight the text you need instead of using the mouse. The mouse will automatically anchor itself in Word to the end of the sentence or paragraph or whatever other hidden characters it has. THAT is annoying. Using the arrow keys + shift allows you to highlight character by character before making your cut.

When adding text at the end of a segment, just make sure MS Word isn't dispaying the segment marker font as the active font type. Once again, use the left arrow key to move over one character space, or until the font shows that you are editing text instead of Wordfast segment markers.

NR_Stedman wrote:
Incidentally , because of this very annoying problem which doesn’t occur with Trados, I wanted to change but found that it is very difficult to transfer my Wf translation memories as the language codes are different. To change them by doing a find-replace is impossible as once the TM have been converted to TMX format they don’t open in Word. They can only be opened in “notepad” and find-replace with notepad takes hours and hours and my computer blocs beforehand.

The best text editor to use in this instance is "EditPlus" which can read TMX files. It's a visual editor, so it colorizes the code so that you can distinguish between content and XML code, as well as the different levels of code.

HTH

Bryan
www.whosthatguy.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wf segment markers and changing TM to Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »