Absolute beginner on wordfast
Thread poster: babs guzman
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
French to English
Aug 5, 2006

Hi,
Two hours ago I downloaded the trial version of wordfast as well as the English training manual from www.wordfast.net. Installation went ok, I now see the wf icon in MS word. Yes Champollion on page 17 talks about delimiter protection. Those are the purple markers, and he says be careful about using the backspace or delete buttons too much. Does he mean just be careful so that the purple markers don't accidentally disppear, or does he mean not to use backspace at all even during translation. What if I decide after typing my translated word that another word is better. How do I change the original - I imagine backspacing is a logical step. Help!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:04
English to German
+ ...
Just the delimiters Aug 5, 2006

You can use the backspace or delete keys whenever you like, just take care not to delete the delimiters. That's what he meant.

Sonja


Direct link Reply with quote
 
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
absolute beginner on wordfast Aug 5, 2006

OK, thanks Sonja. It's a bit intimidating because I've never used a CAT before. I've managed without it for 10 years but everyone swears by it and recommends it. So I decided to join the gang.
Thanks, Sonja. You replied quite fast. Much appreciated.
Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

You can use the backspace or delete keys whenever you like, just take care not to delete the delimiters. That's what he meant.

Sonja


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Rehab Mohamed  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 19:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
you can also join wordfast Mailing List Aug 6, 2006

You can also join Wordfast Mailing list to learn more about wordfasting

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast

wordfast-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Good luck


Direct link Reply with quote
 
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
absolute beginner on wordfast Aug 7, 2006

Yes, Rehab, thanks. In fact, before downloading the trial version of wordfast, i signed up into wordfast yahoo user groups. Majority of the issues are advanced level, and I get about 45 new messages a day from that forum. But I'm saving each and every one of them for future reference.


Rehab El-Shanshoury wrote:

You can also join Wordfast Mailing list to learn more about wordfasting

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast

wordfast-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Good luck


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Vitoria Ginja
Local time: 18:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Wordfast yahoo user groups Aug 10, 2006

I guess you don't need to save all the messages, you can always search the archives later.
I'm also a beginner.
Good luck!



babs guzman wrote:

Yes, Rehab, thanks. In fact, before downloading the trial version of wordfast, i signed up into wordfast yahoo user groups. Majority of the issues are advanced level, and I get about 45 new messages a day from that forum. But I'm saving each and every one of them for future reference.


Rehab El-Shanshoury wrote:

You can also join Wordfast Mailing list to learn more about wordfasting

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast

wordfast-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Good luck


[Editada em 2006-08-10 13:42]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
absolute beginner on wordfast Aug 11, 2006

Thank you Vitoria. No I'm not saving all the messages. Keeping only those I think I may need. I'm having fun learning it and practising with it.
How are you coming along?

Vitoria Ginja wrote:

I guess you don't need to save all the messages, you can always search the archives later.
I'm also a beginner.
Good luck!



babs guzman wrote:

Yes, Rehab, thanks. In fact, before downloading the trial version of wordfast, i signed up into wordfast yahoo user groups. Majority of the issues are advanced level, and I get about 45 new messages a day from that forum. But I'm saving each and every one of them for future reference.


Rehab El-Shanshoury wrote:

You can also join Wordfast Mailing list to learn more about wordfasting

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast

wordfast-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Good luck


[Editada em 2006-08-10 13:42]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Absolute beginner on wordfast

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums