How to remove Wordfast from Word 2003
Thread poster: xxxHikonishi
xxxHikonishi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
English to Japanese
Aug 18, 2006

I tried to delete Wordfast from my computer using "Add or Remove software" in Control Panel. However, Wordfast always appears next to Help on Word 2003. How can I delete completely Wordfast from my PC and Word 2003?

I use Windows XP Home and Word 2003.

Please advise.
Thank you,
Hiromi

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:02
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
From the manual Aug 18, 2006

Removing Wordfast
Manual removal
Close Ms-Word. Using your system's file search utility (Windows: "Windows" key + F) search for wordfast.* then delete all Wordfast files that appear. You're done.

Wordfast does not modify your system in any way, does not add/remove entries to your registry base, does not add/remove fonts, does not create hidden files for protection or for hidden purposes, does not add/delete folders, does not add/remove any DLL etc. Thus, all it takes to un-install Wordfast is to delete wordfast.dot.

Important note: most recent systems have "hidden" or "system" folders, and Ms-Word's Startup folder may be located in a hidden folder (perhaps like C:\Documents and Settings\...). If this is the case, set your Windows Explorer or your File search utility to browse and display hidden or system folders. To do so in Windows Explorer or in Windows' File search utility, use the Tools/Folder Options menu, then View the Hidden files and folders and make hidden files and folders visible. Other systems may have slightly different methods for making hidden files and folders visible to the disc browser.

Kind regards,
Gerard

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Remove the toolbar Aug 19, 2006

You right-click on the wf-toolbar and deselect it from the toolbar list. Then it will disappear from view. Wf occupies only less than 2 MB memory, so you will not gain any advantage by removing the files.
But as Gerard has explained, Wf does not appear as an application, it is merely a file.
Regards
Heinrich

Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:02
Member (2007)
English to Russian
One more way Aug 20, 2006

Look for a file System_Disk\Documents and Settings\Your_User_Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup\wordfast.dot, it contains all WordFast macros, toolbar and so on. You can delete it or rename extension (file type) from dot to (for example) _dot_.
Good luck!

xxxHikonishi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 22, 2006

I have deleted all the wordfast files and now wordfast disappeared on Word tool bar.

Thank you,
Hiromi

Romuald D'Amico
Belgium
Local time: 11:02
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Sep 25, 2008

Thanks Enote, it works really well!

Daniel Erlich  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:02
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Thank you! Sep 10, 2010

Particularly Enote, I just would like to give a big thanks! Going straight to \Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup solved the problem quickly and easily and saved me from searching 580 GB of files for these three little buggers.

(Y) Thanks again!

Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to remove Wordfast from Word 2003

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs