Problem with Wordfast.....
Thread poster: Evelyne Morel

Evelyne Morel  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:02
Member (2006)
English to French
Aug 23, 2006

Could someone help me ?

I am regularly using wordfast for my projects with no problems. However this time I have a pb I never had before:

After translating the whole document, I asked wordfast to clean up the doc and saved the new doc under another name (extension .doc)

But when I want to reopen the cleaned file, microsoft word tells me that I should open the file from the word application and check if my file has a .doc extension (which it does). I did that but nothing is working. So that now I end up with either an uncleaned doc or a clean one that my client might not be able to open.

Someone would know where this might come from ?

Thanks in advance for your answers....

[Edited at 2006-08-23 14:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Evelyne Morel  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to French
I found where it came from.... Aug 23, 2006

Well....I found the answer.
I recently uploaded trados demo version (to compare both CAT Tools) and used the trial version under word.
Having the 2 CAT tools opened at the same time was indeed not the best idea I had
After uninstalling Trados.....everything worked fine again

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
They don't get around ... Aug 23, 2006

Yes this is definitely no good idea. Both work with quite complex sets of macros and they do not like each other.

I solved the problem by creating two separate start folders for Word, one named WordStartTrados and one WordStartWordfast.
I copied the dots for the respective programs into these folders and anytime I wish to switch I just open Word, change the start folder in the Options-Menu (in German it is extras - optionen - Speicherort für Dateien, don't know the English names), close word and restart it and can work with the required application.

This never caused any problems so far.

Maybe it could help you as well, if you decide to work with both applications.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I have both Aug 23, 2006

Trados and Wf, but when I use Wf, I have the Trados Toolbar off and if I use Trados I switch the Wordfast toolbar off. No problem so far.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Wordfast.....

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs