Galina Blankenship  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:29
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 25, 2006

Hello.
I received an En-Rus project along with a TM from a client. The TM (as a simple text file) can only be viewed if I change the encoding to Cyrillic (Windows). As I understand, I have to convert it to Unicode to be able to work it in WordFast, which I tried to do by employing TM editor. But it didn't work this way. Could you please help me? I need to be able to use it for my project, but I can't figure out how to do it.
Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxOlaf
Local time: 01:29
English to German
Open the TM with Word and save it as Text file Aug 26, 2006

Hi Galina,

If you have Windows XP you should be able to open the document with Word and save it as a text file.
If that doesn't work, open the TM with a Windows application that displays it correctly then copy the text, paste it into Notepad and save it as Unicode text file (select Unicode as encoding).

Olaf

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:29
German to English
+ ...
Converter or text editor Aug 26, 2006

You simply need a converter or text editor capable of the task. On Linux I tend to use iconv or possibly the Bluefish editor.

It looks as if BabelPad (www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelPad.html) might work for you on Windows and if you have Java installed you could consider jEdit (and also possibly Simredo). There's a list of editors at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors

which indicates whether "encoding conversion" is among their features.

If you're not sure of the encoding of the file you have, try:

www.2cyr.com/decode

For iconv online:

www.iconv.com/iconv.htm

Galina Blankenship  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:29
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Aug 26, 2006

It worked!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to covert TM into Unicode?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs