Thread poster: Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Italy
Local time: 14:09
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 31, 2006

I've used Wordfast regularly for the past year, but this is the first time a client actually gives me a document to be translated using Wordfast. The thing is that it has been partially translated, and all the untranslated segments (target segments) have some characters (sort of &&&), I am supposed to overwrite these characters but when I do and go on to the next segment the TM doesn't get updated; so I run again into a very similar if not exact sentence and find a 100% match proposing this "&&&... See more
I've used Wordfast regularly for the past year, but this is the first time a client actually gives me a document to be translated using Wordfast. The thing is that it has been partially translated, and all the untranslated segments (target segments) have some characters (sort of &&&), I am supposed to overwrite these characters but when I do and go on to the next segment the TM doesn't get updated; so I run again into a very similar if not exact sentence and find a 100% match proposing this "&&&" and not my previous translation.
What am I missing?
Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Collapse

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Pretranslated targets Aug 31, 2006

If the document has been partially translated, then the target segments already contain some text (those &&&). When Wf opens such segment, it does not rewrite the target with the segment from TM (you would hate it if it did - there may be some important, already approved text ).

Sou if you want to use the matches from TM, display the TM (Ctrl+M - it remains visible until you close the translation), and then you can co
... See more
If the document has been partially translated, then the target segments already contain some text (those &&&). When Wf opens such segment, it does not rewrite the target with the segment from TM (you would hate it if it did - there may be some important, already approved text ).

Sou if you want to use the matches from TM, display the TM (Ctrl+M - it remains visible until you close the translation), and then you can copy the hits from TM using Shift+Alt+Insert.
The original target (&&&) will be replaced with the respective segment from TM.

HTH

Marek
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You could try to get rid of the pretranslated chunks Sep 1, 2006

If they are all "&&&", you could replace them by nothing and would get empty target segments, which Wf would replace automatically when opening the segment.
Regards
Heinrich

Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It still doesn't get updated Sep 1, 2006

Thank you Heinrich and Marek.
I've tried that Heinrich, but still get those 100% matches proposing a blank segment and never my previous translation.
Marek, I'm working with a new TM, from scratch. Even if the document has been partially translated (like in a 5%), I don't have the TM of that pre-translation. My new TM does recognise that valid 5% of pre-translation as well as the 95% of those annoying "§§§", but I guess there is something I can't figure out on how to close a segme
... See more
Thank you Heinrich and Marek.
I've tried that Heinrich, but still get those 100% matches proposing a blank segment and never my previous translation.
Marek, I'm working with a new TM, from scratch. Even if the document has been partially translated (like in a 5%), I don't have the TM of that pre-translation. My new TM does recognise that valid 5% of pre-translation as well as the 95% of those annoying "§§§", but I guess there is something I can't figure out on how to close a segment and update TM.
Am I making any sense?
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
PB commands Sep 1, 2006

I was not using these 3 commands, but they for solving these problems (copied from manual):

ShowBetterMatch

WriteBetterMatch

DiscreteBetterMatch

When revising a segmented, bilingual document (translated with TM1), using another TM (such as TM2), this can be useful to receive propositions from TM2, if they are rated higher than the ones originally proposed by TM1. If a better match exists, it will be displayed above the segment (Shift+Alt+Inser
... See more
I was not using these 3 commands, but they for solving these problems (copied from manual):

ShowBetterMatch

WriteBetterMatch

DiscreteBetterMatch

When revising a segmented, bilingual document (translated with TM1), using another TM (such as TM2), this can be useful to receive propositions from TM2, if they are rated higher than the ones originally proposed by TM1. If a better match exists, it will be displayed above the segment (Shift+Alt+Insert will copy TM2's proposition to the target segment).

WriteBetterMatch: same as ShowBetterMatch, but the better match will directly replace the existing target segment with the better proposition. The analogy rate is also replaced with the new analogy rate.

DiscreteBetterMatch : same as WriteBetterMatch, but the existing analogy rate will not be replaced with the new analogy rate.

Milan
www.condak.net
Collapse

Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Milan, that's brilliant Sep 2, 2006

Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM doesn't get updated

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »