Glossary terms are intermittently not highlighted
Thread poster: Alexandre Coutu

Alexandre Coutu
Canada
Local time: 19:35
English to French
Sep 27, 2006

I use Wordfast's lastest version.
I am no pro, but it works well for me and there's usually no problem.

However, lately, terms entered into a selected glossary do not always appear highlighted. This can be puzzling because I sometimes know for a fact that the word is in the glossary and I have to do a search to find it.

Sometimes I go up to the previous segment and back down and the term is highlighted. Sometimes not.

Sometimes I go and reorganize the glossary and it becomes highlighted (I thinks this always works). I used to think this happened after adding a word in the glossary but I now know it happens when the glossary hasn't been modified.

The glossary contains about 2300 words. All 3 glossaries selected probably contain about 4000-5000 words.

Is it possible that Wordfast doesn't have the time to check all the glossaries between one segment and the other?

Any clues will be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 03:35
English to Estonian
+ ...
ancient problem Sep 27, 2006

The problem is as old as the rocks of Thames. Or is it rocks of Seine or Nile for Wordfast ? I don't recall a version that finds ALL the glossary matches. In most versions selecting the word and pressing Ctrl-Alt-G finds the match that you know to exist, but you then have to copy it from the glossary toolbar.

[Edited at 2006-09-27 19:25]

Alexandre Coutu
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Disappointment Sep 27, 2006

Thanks for your answer, Jorgen. I have to say this is quite disappointing... I was hoping to solve the solution!

Mind you, I was also considering buying Wordfast but if can't even find terms in my glossary...

A

Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 03:35
English to Estonian
+ ...
I find it quite worth the investment Sep 28, 2006

I find it quite worth the investment, even with the glossary match issue. It does find about 90%.

Maybe there is a solution, you should ask on the WF mailing list.

xxxNMR
France
Local time: 02:35
French to Dutch
+ ...
Index the glossaries Sep 28, 2006

With the Quality check - Glossaries - Index button. Or copy them in an Excel file and sort them by alphabetical order. Hope this helps!

[Edited at 2006-09-28 09:28]

Alexandre Coutu
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
"Quality check - Glossaries - Index button"? Sep 28, 2006

I'm not sure what you mean by "Quality check - Glossaries - Index button".

However, I constantly reorganise the glossaries. Sometimes, it will make a term become highlighted, but soon, terms will stop being highlighted again even when no new words have been added.

So as such, reorganising the glossary is not a solution to this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:35
Member (2004)
German to English
Make sure you use wildcards Oct 5, 2006

I'm a bit of a beginner with Wordfast myself, and I have noticed this problem. I have also realised that one of the things that is important is to always use the wildcard symbol * when it might be relevant - otherwise the glossary will fail to find the word simply because it has an ending it doesn't recognise. Particular relevant in my source language, German, where there is a wide range of grammatical endings, but this happens in other languages too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary terms are intermittently not highlighted

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs