Wordfast support for password-protected TM?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:26
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2006

Hi all,

As a Wordfast newbie, I wonder if WF has any support for password protected TMs?

I'm thinking of two scenarios:
1. I have a Trados TM, that is password protected. I want to send it to a WF user, but he shouldn't be able to unlock it.
2. Can a translator in WF create a password protected TM himself? I what format would it be, and is it compatible with any other CAT tool?

Thanks a lot for all feedback in this subject!

/Jan

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast has no support for password protected TMs Oct 10, 2006

Wordfast doesn't in any way support password protected TMs.

Regards,
Gerard

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tell me why... Oct 11, 2006

Jan Sundström wrote:
I have a Trados TM, that is password protected. I want to send it to a WF user, but he shouldn't be able to unlock it. ... Can a translator in WF create a password protected TM himself?

Tell me why anyone would like to lock a TM, please? The value of a TM is in more than the fuzzy matches. The TM is also useful for context searches. But if you want to lock a TM, you probably want to do it because you're in too much of a hurry to remove the TUs that the translator won't be needing, right? Why can't you just extract all text from the document to be translated, pretranslate it, and send a minimalised TM to the translator that is based on that extracted text alone?

The WF TM format is open. You can't lock it.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time constraint Oct 11, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Jan Sundström wrote:
I have a Trados TM, that is password protected. I want to send it to a WF user, but he shouldn't be able to unlock it. ...

Tell me why anyone would like to lock a TM, please?

Time constraint and security issues.
I have large TM's generated by many different translators, and I want to send it out to a new freelancer for recurring assignments, without risking that he export the segments and use it on his own.

Instead of having to do a "pretranslate" and create a new TM for each and every new document, in Trados I can simply give him non-exclusive access to the TM, with a time-stamped expiry date, and he can use it without any support or maintainance necessary from my side.

I guess it makes no sense from a translators point of view. But I'm asking as an outsourcer.

Since WF apparently doesn't support this feature, it limits the choice of translators I can use for these kind of end clients.

/Jan

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Password protected TMs Oct 18, 2006

TMs goes just in the opposite direction. Standards formats like TMX or XLIFF are just created to intechange information, an not to hide it, and WF big momma's server goes in the opposite direction too...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast support for password-protected TM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »