https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/58610-wf_keeps_changing_source_language_to_french.html

WF keeps changing source language to French
Thread poster: Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2006

This is happening in two TMs, both of which were given to me by an agency (i.e. not created by me personally). Every time I open them, WF asks me the source language, asks me the target language, thinks about it for a few seconds and then sets the source language as French. I've had a look at the TM and it all seems to be OK in there - IT-EN-GB as it should be. But if I enable the spellcheck in Word it's set in French, not English. Obviously I can get round this by using cont+, to display only t... See more
This is happening in two TMs, both of which were given to me by an agency (i.e. not created by me personally). Every time I open them, WF asks me the source language, asks me the target language, thinks about it for a few seconds and then sets the source language as French. I've had a look at the TM and it all seems to be OK in there - IT-EN-GB as it should be. But if I enable the spellcheck in Word it's set in French, not English. Obviously I can get round this by using cont+, to display only the target, then selecting all and selecting English as the language, but if I then try to process it again with WF it goes straight back into French.

I've had a look at the manual but this problem doesn't seem to be mentioned... any ideas?

Interestingly, this has only happened since my computer was upgraded - I'm using XP and Word 2003 Professional, and the WF version is 4.22a AG.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you use automatical language recognition? Oct 30, 2006

If yes, switch it off.
Open the TM in Wordpad and look, what is the defined language pair.
Hope it helps.
Heinrich

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Automatic language recognition already switched off Oct 30, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If yes, switch it off.
Open the TM in Wordpad and look, what is the defined language pair.
Hope it helps.
Heinrich

And in any case, it doesn't change to French once I start typing - WORDFAST changes it to French straight after i set it as English.

In the Wordpad text, it's set correctly as EN-GB.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:45
Finnish to French
Wordfast doesn't affect the source text, only the target text Oct 30, 2006

FWIW, Wordfast doesn't do anything (as far as language codes are concerned) to the *source* text. It only affects the *target* text, if 1) the target language code is set correctly in the TM, 2) the appropriate option is selected in Wordfast and 3) Word's automatic language selection "feature" is turned off.

If you want Word to spell-check the source text as well, make sure the correct language is set *before* starting working a Wf translation session. Just press Ctrl+A, pick up the
... See more
FWIW, Wordfast doesn't do anything (as far as language codes are concerned) to the *source* text. It only affects the *target* text, if 1) the target language code is set correctly in the TM, 2) the appropriate option is selected in Wordfast and 3) Word's automatic language selection "feature" is turned off.

If you want Word to spell-check the source text as well, make sure the correct language is set *before* starting working a Wf translation session. Just press Ctrl+A, pick up the correct language and (once again) make sure Word's automatic language detection is turned off.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My fault... Oct 30, 2006

Sorry chaps, what I should have said what "Word keeps changing the TARGET language to French"! No wonder you were all getting confused...

I think I'll start another thread with the real problem. Thanks for trying to help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF keeps changing source language to French

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »