Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Wordfast license renewal right in the middle of a job ))C:
Thread poster: sylvie malich

sylvie malich
Germany
Local time: 15:20
German to English
Nov 2, 2006

I'm in the middle of a 14 page contract, wizzing along because of my TM, then ! BAM ! after much trial and error my Wordfast license seems to have expired.

To make a long story short, I go to the website to purchase a license extension. I get so far as "calculate the price and continue" but continue it doesn't. It stays stuck at that page, I do not use the link to pay by paypal, don't have it, don't want it.

I am assuming I will be getting an invoice via email so I can pay for the damn thing and get on with my work

But in the meantime I CAN'T WORK! My TM remains unavailable. This is a disaster and this is due tomorrow morning.

Anybody else have experience in how long it takes to get a license renewal?

And while we're at it, a reminder that the 3 year expiration date is coming up would have been really REALLY nice to avoid a situation such as this.

My wordfast was purchased through ProZ in a group buy in 2003.

sylvie

Direct link Reply with quote

Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Contact wordfast support Nov 2, 2006

Something similar happened to me, when my trial version quit on me in the middle of a project.
I purchased a license right away, but it never came. The page locked up after I completed payment. Nothing happened after that...
I contacted ProZ as well, but the response took too long. My project was due, so I looked for a contact on the wordfast site.
They answered within hours and sent me a license number without me having to proof that I actually purchased it.
So I would suggest you contact them as soon as possible!
Good Luck!
Evi

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Evi... Nov 2, 2006

I just sent an email to Wordfast support through their webpage.

So far I've lost a precious 2 hours. I can't even eat lunch for nervousness... THIS IS A DISASTER!!!

suvasree
Local time: 19:50
English to Bengali
+ ...
I suspect it is something else Nov 2, 2006

Are you sure the problem is due to expiration of your licence? Wordfast licence can't expire like that. In fact it should remain valid until you change your computer or instal a new version of Word. Have you tried reorganizing your TM? I am sorry but it seems to me that the problem is somewhere else.

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
wordfast doesn't deactivate after 3 years Nov 2, 2006

Hi Sylvie,

This is very strange. Even if 3 years has passed you can continue to use Wordfast in your machine as long as the installation number remains the same (it would change if you change computer or hard disk).
Provided this has not changed, did you try entering the license number you were sent when you registered it?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some pointers... Nov 2, 2006

sylvie malich wrote:
I'm in the middle of a 14 page contract, wizzing along because of my TM, then ! BAM ! after much trial and error my Wordfast license seems to have expired.

Wordfast does not expire by itself. The 3 year period applies not to Wordfast itself but to relicensing. There is no way the Wordfast installation on your computer knows what time it is.

If the hardware on your computer is still the same, chances are that your licence number will be the same. Delete your normal.dot file, and search for a file named wordfast.cfg. In it you'll find your current licence number (the number that had been working up to this point). Make a backup of wordfast.cfg, and then try to relicense your Wordfast using that number.

Anybody else have experience in how long it takes to get a license renewal?

It can take a while, yes. Can be quite annoying, too.

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
Fetch an older version if need be Nov 2, 2006

Moin Silvie,

Only to confirm what they've said: Wordfast simply doesn't up and quit in the middle of a job; either 1) you downloaded a newer version in the middle of a job and that won't relicense (actually happened to me once, not very clever of me), or 2) the files got corrupted.

Presuming you still have your registration numbers, you can always reinstall an older version of Wordfast from within the 3 year validity period. To do so: delete the current version of wordfast from your system. On a PC, open the search function with the Windows key + F and search for wordfast. Delete any copies you find, then install an older copy--either an earlier version of Wordfast 5 that you have archived somewhere or Wordfast 4, still available at Wordfast.net.

I've also got a few older versions of Wordfast 5 that got saved during my backup process and I can mail you one if need be. Drop a line if it'd help you out.

And good luck!

Steven

[Edited at 2006-11-02 15:07]

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
This is strange indeed... Nov 2, 2006

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Hi Sylvie,

This is very strange. Even if 3 years has passed you can continue to use Wordfast in your machine as long as the installation number remains the same (it would change if you change computer or hard disk).
Provided this has not changed, did you try entering the license number you were sent when you registered it?

Wordfast has not deactivated, it doesn't recognize my TM because it is larger than 500 TUs. Nothing has changed on my computer, no computer or hard disk change). This happened right in the middle of a job. When I looked on the info tab the license number had disappeared and a "-----" replaced it. I then went to my original invoice and inserted my license number.
Nothing.
Then I went to the website to see what's what. That's when it told me that my Wordfast was older than 3 years and had expired and advised me to buy a 3-year extension. This must be new because when I bought it I was unaware that the license was only valid for 3 years, but that's besides the point.

I posted a query on the Wordfast mailing list 4 hours ago, but it still hasn't been vetted.

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sucks Nov 2, 2006

This really sucks. I have put in a query on the mailing list as well as through the Wordfast website support form and nothing is happening. I am not in the mood to delete files and experiment with possible solutions. Experience shows this just fugs things up even more.
I'm in for a nightshift here, I'd rather be working.

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Divide TM Nov 2, 2006

I've no idea whether this works but it's just a suggestion.
What about opening the TM in notetab and cutting out a large chunk and sticking it into another document. Then make sure it's got the same heading as the other and save it as another name.
Then when Wordfast searches, set it to search other TMs in the same directory.
Good luck.
Yves is always really good at getting back with help if that doesn't work.

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
@ Sarah Nov 2, 2006

Sarah Brenchley wrote:

I've no idea whether this works but it's just a suggestion.
What about opening the TM in notetab and cutting out a large chunk and sticking it into another document. Then make sure it's got the same heading as the other and save it as another name.
Then when Wordfast searches, set it to search other TMs in the same directory.
Good luck.
Yves is always really good at getting back with help if that doesn't work.

Sarah, I am doing that now. It takes 3 times as long, I have to search and then cut and paste 100% matches.

I don't know why my problem hasn't displayed on the Wordfast mailinglist. I posted it twice now.

All this because I just want to pay for a relicense and the website won't let me. How can something so simple turn out so complicated?

Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Write to Yves directly Nov 2, 2006

Try writing an email to yves@champollion.net
Sarah.

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I did. Nov 2, 2006

Waiting for a response.

(Is there some holiday I don't know about?) (C:

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Your query to Wordfast was answered Nov 2, 2006

sylvie malich wrote:

Waiting for a response.

Sylvie, I answered the query you sent to Wordfast using the contact form. I sent my reply an hour after you sent the query (which was 8 hours ago now). I also answered your second query you sent later. You seem not to be receiving my messages. Perhaps they got spam-filtered for some reason on your server or on your computer?

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Day 2 Nov 3, 2006

David Daduc wrote:

sylvie malich wrote:

Waiting for a response.

Sylvie, I answered the query you sent to Wordfast using the contact form. I sent my reply an hour after you sent the query (which was 8 hours ago now). I also answered your second query you sent later. You seem not to be receiving my messages. Perhaps they got spam-filtered for some reason on your server or on your computer?

David!
No, of course I never got your answer. If they got spam-filtered I know nothing about it.
Can you paste the answer here, maybe someone else can benefit from it too?

Mailinglist update: It was recommended on the Wordfast mailinglist to delete normal.dot. I did a search on all drives and this file is nowhere to be found.
But normal.dot is attached to Word in the templates file where I now looked. But why can I not search for it to delete it? This is getting weird.

So many questions, so little time. (C:

TIA,
sylvie

[Edited at 2006-11-03 08:28]

[Edited at 2006-11-03 08:31]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast license renewal right in the middle of a job ))C:

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs