https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/62618-wordfast_setup_freezes_no_install_number_no_toolbar_have_icon.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Wordfast setup freezes, no install number, no toolbar (have icon)
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:45
English to Spanish
Jan 2, 2007

How long does it take?
I downloaded the latest version (Version 5, as of last December 26). I have Windows XP Home Ed. I also have SDL TRADOS.

I followed the instructions for automatic installation of Wordfast (adjusting the macro security and trusted publishers).

I then closed and reopened Word to open the wordfast dot file. Followed the instructions (it is now to click Alt+F2) and waited. Nothing happened.

Then I did a manual installation, copie
... See more
How long does it take?
I downloaded the latest version (Version 5, as of last December 26). I have Windows XP Home Ed. I also have SDL TRADOS.

I followed the instructions for automatic installation of Wordfast (adjusting the macro security and trusted publishers).

I then closed and reopened Word to open the wordfast dot file. Followed the instructions (it is now to click Alt+F2) and waited. Nothing happened.

Then I did a manual installation, copied the dot file to the Word startup folder, reopened Word and I found the Wordfast icon, and a Wordfast dropdown menu, but NO Wordfast toolbar.

In addition, the installation does not get to the screen where it is supposed to show me an install number so I can buy the license.

I decided to try the automatic installation again, and again opened the dot file and followed the instructions. The box where the font displays is blinking but nothing else happens and it has been running for quite a while. I thought the installation was very straightforward and fast.

The task manager shows the program is running.

I do not know what is going on neither what to do next, if anything.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?

Update:
After quite a while (I forgot it was running) installation seems to have finished; it displayed a message to that regard, but still no install number (I cannot buy the software), and no toolbar. I have the Wordfast icon and a drop down Wordfast menu.

[Edited at 2007-01-03 01:25]
Collapse

Miranda Joubioux (X)
Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
French to English
Click on the Wordfast icon Jan 3, 2007

Hi - I suggest you click on the wordfast icon (in the shape of an "f"). This should open the wordfast toolbar. On the wordfast toolbar, click on the "f" again and you will enter the setup screen. Go to the "?" tab. You will see the install number there.

If you have purchased your license number you should enter it here.

Regards
Miranda

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
No toolbar Jan 3, 2007

Miranda, thanks for your suggestion.
The "f" icon does not display the toolbar. If I click on its side to display the Toolbar Options, the option for the Wordfast toolbar is dimmed, (so is the one for Trados but I got that toolbar all right).

If I hover over the "f" it displays "Setup", and if I click on the "f" no toolbar is displayed but the application enters the setup mode and, after a very long while, "finishes" without having displayed the screen where I am supposed to
... See more
Miranda, thanks for your suggestion.
The "f" icon does not display the toolbar. If I click on its side to display the Toolbar Options, the option for the Wordfast toolbar is dimmed, (so is the one for Trados but I got that toolbar all right).

If I hover over the "f" it displays "Setup", and if I click on the "f" no toolbar is displayed but the application enters the setup mode and, after a very long while, "finishes" without having displayed the screen where I am supposed to see the install number.

Since I did a manual installation in the Word startup I do have a Wordfast dropdown menu with all the functions visible, just as I have Tools or Format or View, etc. However, I am not sure I can actually start and run the application.

In summary, no toolbar, no license number, no way of buying the software.
Collapse

Miranda Joubioux (X)
French to English
Check Wordfast website for support Jan 4, 2007

Hi Luisa,
I really don't understand what went wrong with your installation. If you can't find anything about it in the manual, I suggest you go to the www.wordfast.net website and that you ask for support. Another idea would be to send an e-mail to the Wordfast mailing list. There are a lot of helpful people out there.

To join the English-speak
... See more
Hi Luisa,
I really don't understand what went wrong with your installation. If you can't find anything about it in the manual, I suggest you go to the www.wordfast.net website and that you ask for support. Another idea would be to send an e-mail to the Wordfast mailing list. There are a lot of helpful people out there.

To join the English-speaking group, just send an e-mail to [email protected] or go to its home page, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast.
Collapse

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:45
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I have exactly the same problem Jan 4, 2007

Hi Luisa,

What you describe is exactly the problem I face.

And as you guess correctly, the application doesn't run at this stage.

There is no information about this at all in the manual.

Could you let us know if you solve the problem?

Kind regards,

Balaban

Miranda Joubioux (X)
French to English
More information required Jan 4, 2007

Hi Luisa,

Could you please let me know what operating system you use and which version of Wordfast you downloaded (if you don't know when did you start using it and what website did you download from?)

This will be a good starting point.

Thanks

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
More information Jan 4, 2007

I downloaded the latest version, from the Wordfast page.
I have Windows XP Home Edition 2003, Explorer 7, SDL TRADOS.

I contacted Wordfast support and I am waiting for their feedback.

I will keep you and Balaban posted. I am concerned that Proz is running a campaign precisely for this version of Wordfast and cannot help but worrying what would happen if some people start having this problem.

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast reply Jan 4, 2007

Hello Luisa,

I recommend removing Wordfast from your system completely and then installing it again (use manual installation - it's better if the automatic installation seems to be troublesome on your system). To remove Wordfast
from your system, please follow the instructions specified in Wordfast's manual ("Removing Wordfast" section).

I hope this will help you.

Best regards,
David Daduc
Wordfast support team

------------
... See more
Hello Luisa,

I recommend removing Wordfast from your system completely and then installing it again (use manual installation - it's better if the automatic installation seems to be troublesome on your system). To remove Wordfast
from your system, please follow the instructions specified in Wordfast's manual ("Removing Wordfast" section).

I hope this will help you.

Best regards,
David Daduc
Wordfast support team

--------------------------------
Disappointing, to say the least! I could figure this much myself!
I will do it as soon as I have some time, and will update this thread.
Collapse

Miranda Joubioux (X)
French to English
Deactivation of certain applications using Word Jan 5, 2007

Hi Luisa,

This is just a suggestion. It has been found in the past that Adobe or Fine reader add-ins create problems when using Wordfast.
My thought is that you should try temporarily disabling such add-ins. Trados may even have an add-in (I don't use it, so I don't know). To do this go to tools templates and add-ins.
In Global templates and add-ins uncheck any add-in other than Wordfast. Now try to click on the Wordfast icon.

If this does not work, can you
... See more
Hi Luisa,

This is just a suggestion. It has been found in the past that Adobe or Fine reader add-ins create problems when using Wordfast.
My thought is that you should try temporarily disabling such add-ins. Trados may even have an add-in (I don't use it, so I don't know). To do this go to tools templates and add-ins.
In Global templates and add-ins uncheck any add-in other than Wordfast. Now try to click on the Wordfast icon.

If this does not work, can you please tell us what happens when you click on the Wordfast setup (click twice to get into the setup window) in the drop-down menu?
The setup window should contain the following tabs: translation memory - terminology - tools - setup - ?
You will find your install number in the ? tab.
You can enter your license number in the empty field beside the install number, if you already have one. If you don't you can test it for a while before buying.

Please could you also tell us what Antivirus and spamkillers you are using.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
That could be it Jan 5, 2007

Thanks Miranda. I do have Adobe, and a pdf converter active in my Word toolbars, so is TRADOS. I will uncheck all of them and try again later today with your suggestions. Right now, I cannot tell you what the setup option says because I unistalled everything late last night but from previous attempts I can tell you that it would not do or show anything other than entering in setup mode just to go in an infinite loop there. On my last attempt I pressed Alt+F2 again while still running the setup a... See more
Thanks Miranda. I do have Adobe, and a pdf converter active in my Word toolbars, so is TRADOS. I will uncheck all of them and try again later today with your suggestions. Right now, I cannot tell you what the setup option says because I unistalled everything late last night but from previous attempts I can tell you that it would not do or show anything other than entering in setup mode just to go in an infinite loop there. On my last attempt I pressed Alt+F2 again while still running the setup and I got a message telling me that the installation finished successfully, but it is a bug resulting from me clicking the setup again while the first setup was in its loop.
My antivirus is Norton.
I will keep posting here.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Deactivated everything Jan 6, 2007

As per Miranda´s suggestion:

-I deactivated everything in the Word toolbars: TRADOS, Adobe, PractiCount, everything.

-I ran the Wordfast installation again. This time it worked, it showed the license number, which I diligently jotted down, and I closed the template.

-I clicked the "f" icon and a window appeared with Wordfast settings, tools, ?, etc. However, it did not install a Wordfast toolbar.

-I closed Word.

-I opened Word
... See more
As per Miranda´s suggestion:

-I deactivated everything in the Word toolbars: TRADOS, Adobe, PractiCount, everything.

-I ran the Wordfast installation again. This time it worked, it showed the license number, which I diligently jotted down, and I closed the template.

-I clicked the "f" icon and a window appeared with Wordfast settings, tools, ?, etc. However, it did not install a Wordfast toolbar.

-I closed Word.

-I opened Word again and

-reactivated all my other toolbars and set the macro parameters back to where they were.

-I clicked the "f" icon to display the parameters screen again and not only it did not show it but it crashed with an error related to the macro parameters.

-I closed the error and click the "f" icon again: it went into setup mode.

If I open Tools and the templates screen I see two Wordfast boxes. Except for the install number that I was able to obtain, I now have what I had before the successful installation: the Wordfast dropdown menu and the "f" icon, no toolbar and no way to start the application.

Would this mean that after installing the application if I need to run Wordfast I need to set the macro parameters again and deactivate all other applications in Word? I am running out of ideas.

----------------
Yes, indeed. If I open Word and deactivate all applications in Word except Wordfast and then click the "f" icon a Wordfast toolbar finally appears However, again the Font/Size boxes blink all the time (as if something is running), and any other function that I try to access (Tools, Edit, View, etc.) is blocked unless I click on it repeatedly. Wierd.

I wrote something on the test document, saved it and, upon reopening, the Wordfast toolbar had disappeared and all other applications were active again. Must be something to do with the Normal template.

[Edited at 2007-01-06 18:18]
Collapse

Miranda Joubioux (X)
French to English
Trados may have corrupted your normal template Jan 6, 2007

I wrote something on the test document, saved it and, upon reopening, the Wordfast toolbar had disappeared and all other applications were active again. Must be something to do with the Normal template.

[Edited at 2007-01-06 18:18]

I read on the Wordfast mailing list that Trados sometimes corrupts the normal template. What I suggest you do is remove all Wordfast files and then remove the normal.dot file which you can find on your computer using the XP search function.
Don't worry about doing this, it is a file that is generated automatically on opening Word. It's the easiest way of getting rid of a corrupt Normal template.
When you return to using Word, check what templates are visible in Tools> Add-ins and templates. If you see wordfast, remove it before going any further.

Now try reinstalling Wordfast. It should work properly on a clean Normal template.

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
But I need TRADOS as well Jan 6, 2007

If that is the solution I wonder what will happen once I get a clean Wordfast installation and I activate TRADOS again. I figure maybe if the version about TRADOS corrupting the Normal template is true, it will likely occur again and I will find myself in the same or similar predicament.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I will follow your suggestions and attempt everything again. Meanwhile, I am yet to hear from Wordfast support after writing to them again.

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
New instructions from Wordfast support Jan 7, 2007

Hello Luisa,

Below is a copy of my previous message, which you inadverently deleted.

Based on what you wrote, it seems very likely the issues you are
experiencing are related to other templates you are using in MS Word. This
makes it difficult for us to help. Some templates can be very aggressive.
Corruption of Normal.dot is also a likely cause of issues (see my previous
message).

Anyway, having two Wordfasts in Word is a problem
... See more
Hello Luisa,

Below is a copy of my previous message, which you inadverently deleted.

Based on what you wrote, it seems very likely the issues you are
experiencing are related to other templates you are using in MS Word. This
makes it difficult for us to help. Some templates can be very aggressive.
Corruption of Normal.dot is also a likely cause of issues (see my previous
message).

Anyway, having two Wordfasts in Word is a problem, too. I guess you
installed one manually and the other one automatically. This is not good.
Search for "wordfast.dot" once again and delete one of the copies. Make sure
you keep the one installed in your Word's Startup folder.

Best regards,
David Daduc
Wordfast support team

=== === ===
My previous message:
=== === ===
You seem to be trying to test all sorts of combinations, like installing
from the zip file, installing after unzipping, etc. This is a road to
desperation and it makes it difficult for me to understand what exactly goes
wrong.

First of all, run the full removal of Wordfast from your system, to make
sure you start from scratch. Download Wordfast from www.wordfast.net and
unzip the file. When this is done, close Word and install Wordfast manually
(copy-paste wordfast.dot in your Word's Startup folder); avoid the automatic
installation process (at least for the moment) to help us find the root of
the problem.

When Wordfast is installed manually, open MS Word and see if you find the
Wordfast icon in Word. Click it (and click just once). What happens? Does
the toolbar expand? If not, does the Wordfast window appear after the very
first click (or only after you click once again)?

If you don't see the expanded Wordfast toolbar, try dragging the icon
somewhere else in the toolbar area - perhaps there's just not enough room
for the expanded toolbar to show.

If you still don't see the whole Wordfast toolbar, go to Tools > Templates
and Addins in MS Word and make sure all items except Wordfast are unchecked
there. When this is done, uncheck the Wordfast in the list as well, then
check it again, so that it loads into Word again. Close the Tools >
Templates window and click the Wordfast icon in Word. Can you see the full
toolbar now?

There are two special things to to check, just in case one of them is an
issue:
(1) Go to Help > About menu in MS Word. If you see "Disabled items" button
on the About MS Word window, click it. Is Wordfast perhaps listed there as a
disabled item? If so, select Wordfast and click the button which says
something like "Enable this item".
(2) Press Alt+F11 in Ms-Word to open the Visual Basic window. In the Tools
menu, click the first sub-menu and make sure that the following 4 references
are checked:
- Visual Basic for Applications
- Ms-Word X Object library (where X can be 7 or greater)
- Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object library
- Microsoft Office X Object library (where X can be 7 or greater)

If you still cannot see the whole toolbar, I'm not quite sure what could be
causing this. You might wish to refresh your Word's global template,
Normal.dot; it sometimes gets corrupted, causing all sorts of unexpected
troubles. To do this, close Word and search your hard drive for "Normal.dot"
(make sure your system searches hidden and system folders - the same way as
when removing Wordfast). Finally, rename all instances of Normal.dot to
Normal.old. Open Word and see if it's any better with Wordfast's toolbar.
(Note: when you refresh Normal.dot this way, you can lose some of your
customised settings in Word, such as auto-correct entries, your own buttons,
macros, etc.)

Now, if you still don't see the toolbar, let me know what Word version you
are using. I'll contact the main developer to ask if you can guess what's
going on on your system. Also, let me know if Wordfast works when the
toolbar does not expand - when you click the Wordfast icon (once or twice),
the Wordfast settings window appears, right? Can you do some settings, such
as create a new TM (as per the user manual)? If so, can you translate a
short, sample document (using keyboard shortcuts or the commands in the
Wordfast drop-down menu).

------------------------
As soon as I have some free time (unlikely for now) I will try all these instructions. I decided to post them here for future reference in case someone runs into the same problem.
Collapse

Miranda Joubioux (X)
French to English
Possible solution Jan 8, 2007

Hi Luisa,

I've just seen a mail from someone else who appeared to have the same problem as you.

This is what it says:
"To everyone who has tried to help me with this problem. Thank you so much! I have also received a couple of private messages from other members, and I think my initial problem has been fixed. It was indeed Trados that was interfering, and when I "uncheck" the Trados and Multiterm boxes under the
Templates and add-ins (and leave them unchecke
... See more
Hi Luisa,

I've just seen a mail from someone else who appeared to have the same problem as you.

This is what it says:
"To everyone who has tried to help me with this problem. Thank you so much! I have also received a couple of private messages from other members, and I think my initial problem has been fixed. It was indeed Trados that was interfering, and when I "uncheck" the Trados and Multiterm boxes under the
Templates and add-ins (and leave them unchecked), the WF toolbar displayed the way it's supposed to. I'm not sure about that other problem with the curser on the menu items, but it seems to be fixed. Time will tell. "

If you manage to reinstall Wordfast correctly as you were advised, you should end up with a useable normal template, in which you can still keep Trados. All you need to do is deactivate it.

There are various other ProZ members who work with Wordfast, most of them respond to the main mailing list, which I referred to above. Some of them are better placed than me to answer specific Trados - Wordfast related questions.

Regards.
Miranda
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast setup freezes, no install number, no toolbar (have icon)

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »