Wordfast doesn't start ("TM of over 500 TUs")
Thread poster: mopc
mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:33
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 13, 2007

Hi, it's my third time using Wordfast and when I tried to start a new translation just now a window popped up saying that "This TM of over 500 TUs was processed using an unlicensed version of Wordfast. Your TM is fine, but cannot be used for the moment. Please buy a licence and insert it".

How do I solve this? I don't supposed I have exhausted my wordfast that quickly!

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:33
English to Spanish
Free download is demo Jan 13, 2007

Hello mopc.
Did you purchase a license? It seems you have a demo version, thus limited capacity for TMs.

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no way? Jan 13, 2007

Isn't there a way to erase the TM and start all over again? Is the demo version that limited?

Alexandre Coutu
Alexandre Coutu
Canada
Local time: 06:33
English to French
. Jan 13, 2007

You can either start a new memory (new memory button in the menu) or remove some items from the memory to bring it under 500 TU using wordpad for instance.

There are also ways to clean up the TU and remove unwanted or repetitive TUs...

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Different TMs Jan 13, 2007

Well, I used Demo version for quite some time before buying the licence. All you need to do is create separate TMs so that you don't exceed the limit of 500 TUs. I had created a subjectwise TM and managed to use it without exceeding the limit. Another possibility is using one TM as a Background memory and another as an active TM.

Still the best way to use it 100% is to buy the licenced version.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ritu Bhanot

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 13:33
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
TMs editable Jan 13, 2007

It does sound odd, could you really have filled up your TM so quickly? I have done a few small jobs and never reached the limit yet. But I do create a new TM for each job (as appropriate, of course) so as to avoid cluttering them up.

I presume (though I'm not an experienced user to be able to advise you for sure!) that manually editing your TM would enable you to get rid of some of the "rubbish" and take it back to below the limit.

Or do you suspect you have some kind o
... See more
It does sound odd, could you really have filled up your TM so quickly? I have done a few small jobs and never reached the limit yet. But I do create a new TM for each job (as appropriate, of course) so as to avoid cluttering them up.

I presume (though I'm not an experienced user to be able to advise you for sure!) that manually editing your TM would enable you to get rid of some of the "rubbish" and take it back to below the limit.

Or do you suspect you have some kind of bug?

In any case, as Ritu says, the best solution is to pay for a proper licensed version anyway — it's only fair, if you're planning on using it.
Collapse

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:33
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
my experience Jan 14, 2007

Clean repetitions, which are used less than one time.
(counter < 1).
It is explained very well in the manual how to do it.

Then you will have only the TUs, which are repeated at least once. After few uses of thus modified TM, you will have a TM full of TUs, which are repeated at least once, and very few TUs with counter equal to 0.
Then repeat the process for counter < 2, then go back to 1, then 2... I hope it is clear what is the algorithm.

This
... See more
Clean repetitions, which are used less than one time.
(counter < 1).
It is explained very well in the manual how to do it.

Then you will have only the TUs, which are repeated at least once. After few uses of thus modified TM, you will have a TM full of TUs, which are repeated at least once, and very few TUs with counter equal to 0.
Then repeat the process for counter < 2, then go back to 1, then 2... I hope it is clear what is the algorithm.

This will help you to have more time before you make you final decision on Wordfast. According to my observations, a TM of 500 TUs is full after 22 to 25 pages text (approx.) (not filtered).

And, WF is a great tool!

Happy translating!
Collapse

Umutay Midinova
Umutay Midinova
Kyrgyzstan
Local time: 17:33
English to Kirghiz
+ ...
version 3.5 is free Jan 14, 2007

Hello
Once Wordfast was free for distribution and since then version 3.5 stays free, unlimited and supplied even with license number.
Its interface is mostly the same, minus some features to which you got used already. But TM is limitless.
You can dowloaded it from the former site of its author.
Make search by Google. It schould be it the first lines.
Good look

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solved Jan 15, 2007

Yeah, typical newbie mistake. All I had to do was to create a new TM. Done! Thank you all!!!

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
English to Russian
+ ...
and don't forget! Jan 16, 2007

You still can use the first TM along with the new one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast doesn't start ("TM of over 500 TUs")

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »