https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/64382-using_wordfast_for_a_source_doc_delivered_on_paper.html

Using Wordfast for a source doc delivered on paper
Thread poster: Nadia Stephanov
Nadia Stephanov
Nadia Stephanov  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:35
English to French
+ ...
Jan 26, 2007

Hi to all,

I'm new to Wordfast. I downloaded the software and read the manual but could not find an answer to my question. Maybe I should think about following some training...

Anyway I'm now translating a very long document. The source translation is not numerized as it was delivered by postmail my client.

How do I go about using Wordfast on that? Because, to me, it seems that WF is helpful when the source document is already on the harddrive of my comput
... See more
Hi to all,

I'm new to Wordfast. I downloaded the software and read the manual but could not find an answer to my question. Maybe I should think about following some training...

Anyway I'm now translating a very long document. The source translation is not numerized as it was delivered by postmail my client.

How do I go about using Wordfast on that? Because, to me, it seems that WF is helpful when the source document is already on the harddrive of my computer. I do not have the possibility to scan it and transform it into text.

Thanks for your help, sorry if the answer may be kind of obvious to you
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
FYI Jan 26, 2007

The thead has been moved to Wordfast support forum.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Well Jan 26, 2007

nads022 wrote:

do not have the possibility to scan it and transform it into text.

[/quote]

Then you have to type it yourself (or get it typed) and save it as a Word document. There's no other way.

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
there is another way Jan 26, 2007

nads022,

If you have (access to) a digital camera you could use it instead of a scanner.

But Sylvie is right too - you also need to have (access to) OCR software to convert the digital images into text.

If the document is long it is worth the time and effort.

HTH

Marek

ZZZZZZ (X)
ZZZZZZ (X)
German to English
Go to copy shop Jan 26, 2007

You could go to a copy shop that rents out the use of a scanner (a cheap solution if you don't want to buy a scanner) and have it scanned to a CD. Scanners are fairly cheap today, though.

You then have to turn the image file into a Word file using Abby Finereader or the like.

Nadia Stephanov
Nadia Stephanov  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody... Jan 26, 2007

... for helping me out on this one. It saves me much time and trouble loooking for something that apparently does not exist in Wordfast! (Actually I thought it was a feature of Wordfast I could not find, hence my question).

Well that's that, my document will take me ages to scan (it's about one hundred pages) so I think I'll proceed the old-fashioned way, translate/type it on the go into Word.

Thanks again.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
..."translate/type it on the go into Word. "... Jan 26, 2007

well, why not...

Otoh, there's other ways: I once used a Toshiba copier/scanner to scan twosided one complete vocabulary (I had to take it apart for that, no turning pages on that machine).

What followed then was OCR and bingo...

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:35
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
my experience with hard copies Jan 26, 2007

A few days ago I took Olympus FE-180 plus 1 GB xD-Picture Card. It is 6 Mpx, and Abbyy 8.0 tells that this version of Abbyy is capable to OCR at least 2 Mpx images from digital camera, so I hope that 6 will be enough to do the job. My Benq Scaner takes 4 minutes to scan A4 at 300 dpi, hence I decided to take digital camera.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Scan Jan 27, 2007

nads022 wrote:

Well that's that, my document will take me ages to scan (it's about one hundred pages) so I think I'll proceed the old-fashioned way, translate/type it on the go into Word.

The longer the document, the bigger chance there will be repetitions and/or similar sentences. You can probably guess by yourself by looking at it. The size is actually another reason to scan the document and use OCR, because your productivity will be much higher with an electronic source and a CAT tool.

You can get a scanner for some 70 euros including a bundled OCR software. And if you charge more for hardcopy source, as most translators do, you can easily spend one day converting it (or have somebody else do it).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Wordfast for a source doc delivered on paper

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »