Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:28
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Feb 11, 2007

Hi,

Well, guess I keep coming back here with similar question.

Actually, this time, I want to know the difference between Repetition and 100% Match in Wordfast.

And how do you give discount, if any, for the two.

Here's a sample wordcount:

Result of analysis on 7 files

===========================================
Analogy segments words char. %

---------------------------------------------------------

Repetitions 366 2436 16863 24%

100% 0 0 0 0%

95%-99% 0 0 0 0%

85%-94% 0 0 0 0%

75%-84% 0 0 0 0%

_0%-74% 766 7798 52877 76%

Total 1132 10234 69740

(character count includes spaces)

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Best regards,

Ritu

[Edited at 2007-02-11 17:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:58
Member (2006)
French to English
See training guide 1, p. 18 Feb 11, 2007

Hello,
Here is a really nice explanation in the training guide with additonal info about word counts:

ANALYSIS REPORT 16:14:40 01-06-2005

=========================================================
c:\My Documents\testdoc.doc
Analogy segments words char. %
---------------------------------------------------------
Repetitions 2 22 119 11%
100% 0 0 0 0%
95%-99% 0 0 0 0%
75%-94% 0 0 0 0%
0%-74% 12 182 1039 89%
Total 14 204 1158
(character count includes spaces)

Repetitions : this term refers to repetitions found within the documents that were analyzed (this does not concern the translation memory). For example, if a same sentence (segment) appears 3 times in the set of analyzed documents, the repetition counter will show 2 repetitions.

Analogies (match rate) per percentage: this is comparison made between the segments that are found in the documents and any matching source segment found in the translation memory.
Note that this count includes spaces.

The word count is made following a method upheld by Wordfast, but which is generally used by most translation tools. This word count is usually more "generous" than that of Ms-Word. For example, apostrophes and dashes separate words, so that in the example below:

L'argent de Louis-Philippe

Ms-Word will count three words, but Wordfast (and Trados etc.) will find five words.

Overall, a CAT tool word count may find 10% more words than an Ms-Word word count. The difference between Wordfast and Trados is about 1%, and usually less, when counting words in regular, untagged files.

Translators should agree with their client before engaging into a project as to which word count method should be used (Ms-Word, Wordfast) and on which basis (source or target text).

--------------------------------------

As to your question about discounts, that's up to you. What fraction of time does it take you to proof and/or revise a 100% match/repetition? A 95-99% match, etc.?

Best of luck,

John DiRico

India
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Difference between 100% match and Repetition Feb 12, 2007

Hi John,

Thanks for your guidance but my question was exactly what is the difference between 100% Match and Repetition.

The example you've given is the same as in WF manual and I've read that umpteen number of times but I still am not sure about these two.

After another discussion on a related subject in proz, I've started giving some discount only for 100% matches. But I've this client who wants discount on Repetition. As I don't understand what exactly "Repetition" means in terms of a document (they're not giving any TM), I don't know what it implies for me as a Translator.

Can anyone enlighten me about that?

Thanks in advance,

Ritu

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The way I see it Feb 12, 2007

Ritu Bhanot wrote:
Thanks for your guidance but my question was exactly what is the difference between 100% Match and Repetition.

I suspect this is the answer:

1. When doing an analysis against an empty translation memory, Wordfast will search only for repetitions (it won't search for matches).

2. When doing an analysis against an existing translation memory, Wordfast will search for repetitions as well as matches.

A match is a sentence in the document that is similar to a sentence in the translation memory. A 100% match is therefore a sentence in the document that is exatly the same as a sentence in the translation memory.

A repetition is a sentence in the document that is exactly the same as another sentence elsewhere in the document.

In a report based on an empty translation memory, it may be confusing that Wordfast claims that there are X number of matches in the percentage range 0-74%... because those aren't really matches -- they simply represent the amount of text that does not consist of repetitions.

India
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the information Feb 12, 2007

Hi Samuel,

Thanks a lot for your assistance. Yes, that is the sort of information I need.

So Repetition means sentences that are exactly the same in the document...

BTW in terms of payment do you give discount for repetitions? If yes, how much?

Thanks once again.

Ritu

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Repetitions and matches Feb 12, 2007

I see it as Samuel does too (although I use Trados but I suspect the same principle applies).

My discounts vary but for repetitions and full matches it is between 0% and 30% of my standard rate (I try to always have 30% but this is not always possible).

I really like your new photo! Much nicer than the last one.

Take care,
Marijke

India
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Marijke Feb 13, 2007

That's revealing because one client wanted 100% discount on repetitions and I wasn't sure.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Ritu

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
0% of standard rate Feb 13, 2007

I should add that when a customer wants to pay nothing for repetitions and full matches and they provide the TM, I always include a disclaimer that I do not check these segments. If it is my own TM, then it is different (presumably it is a "fantastic" TM). I do, however, mainly translate technical documentation and most repetitions are exactly that. They do not really change according to the context. This may be different in other areas (such as literature where you may want to avoid being repetative).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Repetition and 100% Match

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs