Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 9, 2007

Yesterday I recieved a 5000 word document from a customer, for whom I have translated the same kind of stuff since 2003 using Wordfast. So I was not surprised, when the Wf Analyse function showed 53 % 100% matches.
Because I use second persons for proofreading these translations, I would have liked to use the export function of Trados in order to export all less than 99 % similar segments. I haven't found yet in Wf anything that would do this (I tried though the Translate function in Wf, b
... See more
Yesterday I recieved a 5000 word document from a customer, for whom I have translated the same kind of stuff since 2003 using Wordfast. So I was not surprised, when the Wf Analyse function showed 53 % 100% matches.
Because I use second persons for proofreading these translations, I would have liked to use the export function of Trados in order to export all less than 99 % similar segments. I haven't found yet in Wf anything that would do this (I tried though the Translate function in Wf, but got an error from Visual Basic).
First I searched the last two uncleaned similar documents for this customer, which I translated last year, did the cleanup in Trados and analysed the new document using the TM from the cleanup. Trados showed only 4 % 100% matches!
Then I exported the Wf-TM to tmx, imported into Trados and ran the analysis again. Now Trados found 17 % 100% matches.
Anyway I did the export of the unknown segments, but a short glance at the export file shows me, that Trados did a poor job.
Even though the source document had used paragraph marks at each line-break, Trados had managed to fuse headers with normal sentences. The export file is unusable.

So I guess I will continue using Wf for these projects and maybe use colours to distinguish between 100% matches and fuzzy matches, so the proofreader does not have to read the whole text, only the new segments.

Did I do something stupid when trying to use Trados with a TM from Wf?

Cheers
Heinrich
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:58
English to German
+ ...
Segmentation? Mar 9, 2007

Heinrich,

Could this be due to different segmentation? I know that WF and Trados segment in different ways, although I've been told these are only small differences.

Sonja

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Mar 9, 2007

Now I tried for fun to translate the Word-Doc using Trados and the TM (50000 TUs), which I imported from Wf this morning.
Trados makes a mess already out of the first 3 sentences, which are separated by paragraph marks.
Really strange. I usually use Trados for ttx-files. But I always believed the behaviour would be pretty much the same with Word-files.
The problem is, this customer is about to switch to Trados and will probably start to send ttx-files. Seems I can forget my Wf-
... See more
Now I tried for fun to translate the Word-Doc using Trados and the TM (50000 TUs), which I imported from Wf this morning.
Trados makes a mess already out of the first 3 sentences, which are separated by paragraph marks.
Really strange. I usually use Trados for ttx-files. But I always believed the behaviour would be pretty much the same with Word-files.
The problem is, this customer is about to switch to Trados and will probably start to send ttx-files. Seems I can forget my Wf-TM and make a fresh start.
Fortunately at least this project I'm able to translate with Wf on the fly, 53 % 100% matches.

For the record: Trados 2006.

Cheers
Heinrich
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 09:58
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"Could this be due to different segmentation?" Mar 9, 2007

I know that WF and Trados segment in different ways

Maybe, but not THAT much: 53% vs 17% is a huge (34%) misunderstanding.

From my large stock of bloopers:if exported wrong, soft line breaks turn into hard breaks. Or UTF8 text turns western. and and and.... Or X segments on : and y does not etc etc.,,,

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2007-03-09 18:20]

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This problem seems to be related to the document Mar 10, 2007

Yesterday evening I recieved a message from a member of the same team of translators. He usually uses Trados for these projects, but now with this document Trados "glues" the lines together, so he said. Even double paragraph marks are regarded as "nothing", not even as empty space.

AAAA

BBBB

CCCCCC. DDDDD.

become:
AAAABBBBCCCCC.
DDDDD.

So its no wonder TRados finds not enough matches.

But why this document
... See more
Yesterday evening I recieved a message from a member of the same team of translators. He usually uses Trados for these projects, but now with this document Trados "glues" the lines together, so he said. Even double paragraph marks are regarded as "nothing", not even as empty space.

AAAA

BBBB

CCCCCC. DDDDD.

become:
AAAABBBBCCCCC.
DDDDD.

So its no wonder TRados finds not enough matches.

But why this document is so difficult for Trados to handle I don't know, its a plain Word-doc without fancy formatting.
And Wf has no problems!

Weird!

Heinrich
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

100% matches - Wf 53, Trados 17

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »