Thread poster: xxxLaurent 1973
xxxLaurent 1973  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:09
English to French
+ ...
Mar 17, 2007

Hi,

After installing WF version 5.50y, I've noticed that I cannot delete text in Word by hitting the backspace or del key. The only way to go is by selecting text and "cutting" it.

Then if I remove WF version 5.50 and switch back to the old WF 3.35, I can delete text by hitting backspace or del.

I just don't know what's happening. Any idea?

Thanks,
Laurent

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Word issue Mar 17, 2007

I would guess that this is a MS Word issue. Which ver. of Office/Word are you using?

You could also try the newest version (5.51)

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try 5.0za Mar 17, 2007

I use that version of Wf, and without any problem. Sometimes however when at the end of the segment backspace does not work, but del does. This is a minor annoyance.
Regards
Heinrich

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Ctrl+Space Mar 17, 2007

Hi, this usually happens when your cursor is placed next to a tag, which is protected by default. To be able to delete text, press Ctrl+Space to eliminate the style. Then see if it works.

Good luck,
Dan

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:09
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
I worked around it Mar 18, 2007

Mine presented while working in Outlook so I no longer use Word as my editor for Outlook, and that presents other problems.

I first noticed this problem after installing SDL TRADOS last October (I have been using this very Word version since it came out and never had a problem). All of a sudden, the backspace and delete keys did not work in Outlook, so I had to select and cut. After turning off Word as my editor, I acquired another problem related to the ActiveX scripts but now I just hit OK and keep going.

I found something about the keys being assigned other functions by some applications but I did not dare try the fixes suggested.

xxxLaurent 1973  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word Version Mar 18, 2007

Hi,

I'm using Word 2003.

Laurent

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

I would guess that this is a MS Word issue. Which ver. of Office/Word are you using?

You could also try the newest version (5.51)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to delete text with backspace or del

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs