Thread poster: xxxLaurent 1973
xxxLaurent 1973  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:34
English to French
+ ...
Mar 17, 2007

Hi,

After installing WF version 5.50y, I've noticed that I cannot delete text in Word by hitting the backspace or del key. The only way to go is by selecting text and "cutting" it.

Then if I remove WF version 5.50 and switch back to the old WF 3.35, I can delete text by hitting backspace or del.

I just don't know what's happening. Any idea?

Thanks,
Laurent

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Word issue Mar 17, 2007

I would guess that this is a MS Word issue. Which ver. of Office/Word are you using?

You could also try the newest version (5.51)

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try 5.0za Mar 17, 2007

I use that version of Wf, and without any problem. Sometimes however when at the end of the segment backspace does not work, but del does. This is a minor annoyance.
Regards
Heinrich

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Ctrl+Space Mar 17, 2007

Hi, this usually happens when your cursor is placed next to a tag, which is protected by default. To be able to delete text, press Ctrl+Space to eliminate the style. Then see if it works.

Good luck,
Dan

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:34
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
I worked around it Mar 18, 2007

Mine presented while working in Outlook so I no longer use Word as my editor for Outlook, and that presents other problems.

I first noticed this problem after installing SDL TRADOS last October (I have been using this very Word version since it came out and never had a problem). All of a sudden, the backspace and delete keys did not work in Outlook, so I had to select and cut. After turning off Word as my editor, I acquired another problem related to the ActiveX scripts but now I just hit OK and keep going.

I found something about the keys being assigned other functions by some applications but I did not dare try the fixes suggested.

xxxLaurent 1973  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word Version Mar 18, 2007

Hi,

I'm using Word 2003.

Laurent

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

I would guess that this is a MS Word issue. Which ver. of Office/Word are you using?

You could also try the newest version (5.51)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to delete text with backspace or del

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs