Thread poster: Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 19, 2007

Dear Collegue, sometimes it happens to me to work on two computers (PC and notebook) thanks to our type of job
However, I often find myself to manage two TMs for the same topic, for instance if I forget to copy one to notebook TM the PC TM and viceversa. How could I manage?
Thanks
Lucia

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:16
English to Indonesian
+ ...
on trados twb... Apr 19, 2007

- export the first tm: file - export - ok - save [as txt or tmx]
- import the txt/tmx to the second tm: file - import - check merge on existing tus - ok - select the txt/tmx - open

sorry for the post. didn't see that this was posted on wordfast...

[Edited at 2007-04-19 08:11]

Jana Lavičková

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
TM editor special filters Apr 19, 2007

Hello Lucia,
Open the TM editor, select tools, then select the special filters. There is a filter called "merge the current TM with another TM". Use this to merge your TMs. Download the manual from the Wordfast site for more details.

Good luck,
John Di Rico

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:16
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Always do a backup first Apr 19, 2007

Hi,

Make sure that before you do ANY type of merge or make any type of radical change to your database(s) that you copy the TMs (.txt files) to a backup location.

Once you've done your backups you can follow the advice outlined on these pages and start to experiment. If you make an error then you can simply replace the files with the backup copies.

All the best,
Richard.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:16
German to English
+ ...
The easy simple way Apr 19, 2007

Wordfast's TMs are text files that can be edited with an ordinary text editor such as Notepad. I would merge 2 TMs like this (I haven't actually tried this but I'm confident it will work. I HAVE edited a TM by deleting lines from it and that gave no problems).
Suppose you want to merge 2 TMs, called A.txt and B.txt. I would do this:

1. Make safety backup copies called (for example) A0.txt and B0.txt (e.g. using "My Computer" or Windows Explorer).

2. Open B.txt in
... See more
Wordfast's TMs are text files that can be edited with an ordinary text editor such as Notepad. I would merge 2 TMs like this (I haven't actually tried this but I'm confident it will work. I HAVE edited a TM by deleting lines from it and that gave no problems).
Suppose you want to merge 2 TMs, called A.txt and B.txt. I would do this:

1. Make safety backup copies called (for example) A0.txt and B0.txt (e.g. using "My Computer" or Windows Explorer).

2. Open B.txt in the text editor. Turn WordWrap OFF. Now you can see that the TM consists of a header line (beginning with a "%") and then all the segment pairs, one pair per line. The following instructions are simply how to add all the segment pairs from one file to the end of the other file, and then get WordFast to reorganise the TM.

3. Select all the segment pairs (e.g. click at the start of the line containing the first segment pair, then press Ctrl+Shift+End).

4. Copy all the selected text into the clipboard by pressing Ctrl+C.

5. Open A.txt, also with WordWrap OFF. (Depending on which text editor you use, you may have to close B.txt first.)

6. Go to the end of this file (e.g. press Ctrl+End); you should be at the start of an empty line following the last segment pair.

7. Paste the text from the clipboard by pressing Ctrl+V. Check that you don't have an empty line or a double-length line at the point where you added the new text.

8. Save the file, as A.txt (i.e. just "Save") or with a new name (e.g. "Save As..." C.txt) if you want a new file.

9. Activate Wordfast in Word, select the merged file as the TM to use and Reorganise it. If necessary, save this setup with a new name. Use this TM for at least a small part of a translation job to check that it works.

10. You now have your merged TM. You can copy, delete, rename the other .txt files, depending on what you want to keep.

I hope that is of use to somebody.
Oliver
Collapse

JWood&Co (X)
JWood&Co (X)
Canada
Local time: 17:16
French to English
Merge Wordfast easy simple way Jun 13, 2009

Thanks very much M. Walter - much appreciated.

Cristina Di Bartolo
Cristina Di Bartolo  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
THE EASY WAY DOESN'T WORK Feb 11, 2010

Hello all,

I've tried the method suggested by Oliver, but even if it's very intuitive it doesn't work with me. I've trying editing both txt and tmx files, but when reimport them into Wordfast the content is always the same.

I only have WordFast PRO (not ProPlus), so my TM editing options are practically inexistent, but I really need a way to merge TMs.

Does anyone have succeeded where I failed or does anyone know another manual method that works?

... See more
Hello all,

I've tried the method suggested by Oliver, but even if it's very intuitive it doesn't work with me. I've trying editing both txt and tmx files, but when reimport them into Wordfast the content is always the same.

I only have WordFast PRO (not ProPlus), so my TM editing options are practically inexistent, but I really need a way to merge TMs.

Does anyone have succeeded where I failed or does anyone know another manual method that works?

Thanks a lot!

Cristina
Collapse

Dimmo Petrov
Dimmo Petrov
Local time: 00:16
English to Bulgarian
Use Olifant Feb 16, 2011

Try using Olifant - it's very useful TM editor and is free. Simply open TM A and import TM B. Supports .txt (Wordfast translation memory files) and .tmx.

Lesley S, MA
Lesley S, MA  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:16
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Merge Current TM option not available Jul 18, 2012

John Di Rico wrote:

Hello Lucia,
Open the TM editor, select tools, then select the special filters. There is a filter called "merge the current TM with another TM". Use this to merge your TMs. Download the manual from the Wordfast site for more details.

Good luck,
John Di Rico

I am using version 6.03 in Windows 7 and I do not have a "merge the current TM with another TM" option in the filter tab.

All I see in the filter tab is a "type your filter here (fields and operators above)" and when I press the help button, I get this cryptic message:
Sourcetext & "my text here" AND sourceWORDS > 10, etc.

Can anyone make sense of this for me?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
TM Tools Jul 18, 2012

Dear Lesley,

Lesley Sogl wrote:

I am using version 6.03 in Windows 7 and I do not have a "merge the current TM with another TM" option in the filter tab.

Now, you can find it under the "TM Tools" tab as shown in this screenshot:
http://www.screencast.com/t/HRhuMkOcI6G

HTH,

[Edited at 2012-07-18 20:11 GMT]

Nigel Marshall
Nigel Marshall  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
French to English
Thanks Nov 2, 2014

Dimmo wrote:

Try using Olifant - it's very useful TM editor and is free. Simply open TM A and import TM B. Supports .txt (Wordfast translation memory files) and .tmx.

Quick & simple solution. Thanks

lucaboch

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:16
Finnish to French
Potential problems with Olifant Nov 11, 2014

Nigel Marshall wrote:
Dimmo wrote:

Quick & simple solution. Thanks

Note that if your TM contains units with the ampersand character (as in "Quick & simple", "Black & Decker" etc.), they will be messed up after processing in Olifant.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Pro Nov 12, 2014

Dear Colleagues,

For Wordfast Pro users, there is the TM Administration Perspective, including a "Merge TM" feature. Select a TM, and then go to "TM Content" menu > "Merge TM...", and select the file of the new TM.

There is also a feature for inverting TM language pairs.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:16
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Yasmin Jan 23, 2017

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

For Wordfast Pro users, there is the TM Administration Perspective, including a "Merge TM" feature. Select a TM, and then go to "TM Content" menu > "Merge TM...", and select the file of the new TM.

There is also a feature for inverting TM language pairs.

Kind regards,
Yasmin
Yasmin
Can you let us know where is the TM Administration Perspective? Or how to open that perspective?

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
WFP3 or WFP4? Jan 23, 2017

jyuan_us wrote:
Can you let us know where is the TM Administration Perspective? Or how to open that perspective?

What version of WFP are you using? In Wordfast Pro 4, merging TMs is done under the Project TM tab of the Current project view. Use the Import TM icon.

Kind regards,

John

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge two TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »