Thread poster: Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:20
Spanish to English
May 1, 2007

Hello.

I am in the need of some guidance with one of my first WF translations.

I was able to translate the document normally, using ALT+DOWN, etc.

Now, I am trying to revise the document. I went to the top of the document and started to check and revise each TU using the same ALT+DOWN method. If I see a TU that I don't like (spelling or other error) I correct it, press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to delete the erroneous TU and continue with ALT+DOWN.

... See more
Hello.

I am in the need of some guidance with one of my first WF translations.

I was able to translate the document normally, using ALT+DOWN, etc.

Now, I am trying to revise the document. I went to the top of the document and started to check and revise each TU using the same ALT+DOWN method. If I see a TU that I don't like (spelling or other error) I correct it, press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to delete the erroneous TU and continue with ALT+DOWN.

Here's the problem. I noticed that some of the TUs have a yellow background and WF is suggesting another TU that does not match 100% with the target - even though I had already translated the TU! Using CTRL+ALT+LEFT/RIGHT does not pull up the correct TU either.

So I suppose I am going about revising the wrong way. Do I have to go to my old method of opening the original doc to compare with the translation via split screen? I hope not.

Can anyone lend a hand here?

Thanks,
Elliot
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:20
French to English
+ ...
Just alt down until document cleaned up May 1, 2007

Hi Elliot,

I'm assuming you're checking the document for the first time prior to cleaning it up ready to send out? If that is the case, then you merely need to press alt down each time as the TU isn't definitive until the document is cleaned up. Then, when you clean the document at the end, only then will the segments form the final translation memory. That's my understanding of it anyway and is how it works for me.

Good luck!

Claire

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Why not a 100% match during revision? May 1, 2007

Hi Claire, you assumed right, I am just checking the document before final cleanup.

But since I have already translated the document, why would Wordfast suggest a TU that is not a 100% match? I mean, I had already told it what each translation unit was for the entire document. So, when I go through the revision process, each and every TU should be a 100% match, right?

What am I not getting here?

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 08:20
French to English
+ ...
One possibility May 1, 2007

During your original translation, did you increase or decrease the size of a segment? On your second pass, WF is trying to match the unchanged segment.

Terry.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hm May 1, 2007

If I understand at all what you are referring to:
If the original target-segment is from the TM with e. g. 93 % match, the 93 stands there as long as the document is cleaned up. If the segment was completely new, the 0% stands there for good. Or the 100%, if it was a 100% match. These don't change when you scan the document for the second time.
Cheers
Heinrich

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 1, 2007

I think I understand now. I thought the numbers WF gives out (e.g. 93% match) would change to 100% after the translation.

Thanks Heinrich and Claire for your input!

Elliot

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Terry May 1, 2007

It's a large document and I do remember changing the size of a segment. Perhaps that caused it.

Elliot

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:20
Italian to English
+ ...
are there numbers in your segment? May 1, 2007

WF isn't very good at numbers - it will often give you a yellow background and a 99% match for a segment which are actually 100% match, if there's a number in it.

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
No numbers May 1, 2007

No number in the segment. But that's good to know for the future.

It probably had to do with a change in segment size.

Elliot

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Steps to check translation created with WF

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »