https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/73332-unable_to_stretch_segments.html

Unable to stretch segments
Thread poster: reliable
reliable
reliable  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:16
French to English
+ ...
May 18, 2007

Hello everyone,

I hope someone out there can help with this problem.
I received a Word file and began translating using Wordfast as usual - instead of segmented phrases it started to segment each letter of each word! When I used the Att+pgdwn to expand the segment it only added one more letter!!
Needless to say after ten letters I gave up and just started to overtype without using Wordfast.
Can anyone please tell me if there is a way that I can see why this is h
... See more
Hello everyone,

I hope someone out there can help with this problem.
I received a Word file and began translating using Wordfast as usual - instead of segmented phrases it started to segment each letter of each word! When I used the Att+pgdwn to expand the segment it only added one more letter!!
Needless to say after ten letters I gave up and just started to overtype without using Wordfast.
Can anyone please tell me if there is a way that I can see why this is happening on just this one document and if so, is there a way that I can fix it so that Wordfast will segment it as usual?

Thank you in advance for your help and have a good weekend!
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:16
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Very strange! May 18, 2007

Silly question: is there anything between your characters? If you double click a word, does it become selected?

Did anyone change the segmentation rules?

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
could it be ... May 18, 2007

some strange kind of Unicode (non-UTB-8) RTF file?

How do other word files behave?

reliable
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unable to stretch segments May 18, 2007

Thank you for your answers/questions

No - there is nothing between the characters they just appear as A or B etc...
and all my other files have behaved normally - nothing has been changed since I am the only one who uses this computer and program...

reliable
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
unable to stretch segments May 19, 2007

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that I moved on to the second part of the document and the problem has vanished.

I still don't know what could have caused it -I just hope it never happens again!

Thanks for your help.

Paulina Liedtke
Paulina Liedtke  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
similar problem Aug 24, 2007

I had a similar problem. I solved it by deleting multiple spaces that followed the segment to be stretched.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to stretch segments

Translation news related to Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »