Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:05
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 14, 2007

I am actually not sure if this is the right forum for my question, because basically I know how to add a glossary to wordfast.
I have read the manual and I am working with several glossaries.
There is one specific file that I would like to use as a glossary, I have downloaded it from the internet as a pdf file and converted it to word. It has two columns, German and then English.

My problem is, it can't be saved in text only format without loosing the formatting. It is
... See more
I am actually not sure if this is the right forum for my question, because basically I know how to add a glossary to wordfast.
I have read the manual and I am working with several glossaries.
There is one specific file that I would like to use as a glossary, I have downloaded it from the internet as a pdf file and converted it to word. It has two columns, German and then English.

My problem is, it can't be saved in text only format without loosing the formatting. It is a very large file, is there any way to convert it to a glossary that is compatible with wordfast?

Thanks for any suggestions - to my awfully basic question, sorry!
Collapse

Julie Preston
Julie Preston  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
Italian to English
Have you created a sample glossary in wordfast first? Jun 14, 2007

I'm quite new to wordfast too - but this is the method I've used up to date (even with large glossaries) and its always worked.

Open wordfast toolbar and click the Terminology tab and then Glossary 1 sub-tab. Click on "New Glossary" and wordfast creates a sample EN-FR glossary that can be used for any other language pair. Save this file in text only format.

Open your word file and convert the table to text using tab as the separator. You don't need to save this file a
... See more
I'm quite new to wordfast too - but this is the method I've used up to date (even with large glossaries) and its always worked.

Open wordfast toolbar and click the Terminology tab and then Glossary 1 sub-tab. Click on "New Glossary" and wordfast creates a sample EN-FR glossary that can be used for any other language pair. Save this file in text only format.

Open your word file and convert the table to text using tab as the separator. You don't need to save this file as text only.

Copy the two columns and paste these under the last line of your new wordfast glossary file. Save this file again as text only. If it says that you'll lose formatting just confirm that you want to save it as unicode. It should work.
Collapse

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:05
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use Excel Jun 14, 2007

A Wordfast glossary is a tab delimited text file and can be edited in Excel. Try to copy the columns into Excel and save it as a tab delimited Unicode text file. It worked for me.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WF glossaries don't support formatting Jun 14, 2007

Evi Wollinger wrote:
My problem is, it can't be saved in text only format without loosing the formatting. It is a very large file, is there any way to convert it to a glossary that is compatible with wordfast?

Wordfast's glossaries are plaintext tab-delimited files with three columns (or more, but more columns are ignored). There aint no formatting in a plaintext file. You'll always lose the formatting if you save as plaintext (not just in this case).

What use if formatting anyway in a Wordfast glossary? Wordfast formats inserted terms according to the format of the source term in your document.

Evi Wollinger
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
didn't make myself clear Jun 14, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Evi Wollinger wrote:

Wordfast's glossaries are plaintext tab-delimited files with three columns (or more, but more columns are ignored). There aint no formatting in a plaintext file. You'll always lose the formatting if you save as plaintext (not just in this case).

What use if formatting anyway in a Wordfast glossary? Wordfast formats inserted terms according to the format of the source term in your document.

with formatting I just meant two columns. When I go to save the word document, which consists of two columns, as a plain text file, the columns disappear.
This happens even if I try to paste the columns separately into excel. It always ends up as one column, which combines the words of both.
I have given up for now, but thanks for your replies.

[Edited at 2007-06-14 14:46]

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Convert table to text Jun 14, 2007

Evi Wollinger wrote:

When I go to save the word document, which consists of two columns, as a plain text file, the columns disappear.
This happens even if I try to paste the columns separately into excel. It always ends up as one column, which combines the words of both

Just select the table and convert it to text with a tab as a delimiter.
David Turner

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
PDF can be a nightmare Jun 14, 2007

Evi Wollinger wrote:
With formatting I just meant two columns. When I go to save the Word document, which consists of two columns, as a plain text file, the columns disappear.

Yes, documents converted from PDF can be a nightmare. I guess your solution may be to create two files (source and target column) and then paste them into a single Excel file, and manually check if they are aligned correctly.

Are you aware of Alt+select in MS Word, that allows you to select blocks of text?

Evi Wollinger
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was just thinking that.. Jun 14, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Evi Wollinger wrote:
With formatting I just meant two columns. When I go to save the Word document, which consists of two columns, as a plain text file, the columns disappear.

Yes, documents converted from PDF can be a nightmare. I guess your solution may be to create two files (source and target column) and then paste them into a single Excel file, and manually check if they are aligned correctly.

Are you aware of Alt+select in MS Word, that allows you to select blocks of text?

thank you, you read my mind. I was actually just typing a reply about that same thing (pdf conversion) to the last posting. I will try your suggestions, thank you!

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:05
English to French
+ ...
Why complicate what is so simple Jun 21, 2007

Evi

The only way a glossary can work within Wordfast is when it is a text-only file.

Just save your Word file under a text-only format using the command Save as. Thus, you'll have both formats on your computer.

Then, open Wordfast and create a new glossary. Give it any name you wish but be careful about specifying the source and target languages. Save it.

Open the newly created glossary with Word or Wordpad. Place the cursor at the end and clic
... See more
Evi

The only way a glossary can work within Wordfast is when it is a text-only file.

Just save your Word file under a text-only format using the command Save as. Thus, you'll have both formats on your computer.

Then, open Wordfast and create a new glossary. Give it any name you wish but be careful about specifying the source and target languages. Save it.

Open the newly created glossary with Word or Wordpad. Place the cursor at the end and click on Insert --> File. Locate your text-only file and insert it in he new glossary.

Save the file and close it.

Open Wordfast and click on the Terminology tab. Select the glossary you just saved (Activate it in order for it to work) and reorganise it.

Wordfast uses text-only files as Translation Memories and Glossaries. There is no way one can use a .doc or .rtf file without first converting it into a tab-delimited text.

Good luck

Bruno

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

adding glossaries in Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »