Thread poster: Heike Reagan

Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
Member (2004)
German to English
Jul 24, 2007

Hello all,
I have WF 5.22 and so far, I'm pretty happy with translating PPT's with it - no major problems though it does skip an occassional text box and minor reformatting (based on the different character count in source and target) is required.

Anyway, today I have this 109 page PPT, which I happily translated in WF, and then I cleaned up my Word doc to update my TM, and I take a look at my PPT....and all the text in the PPT is uncleaned..... I have never seen this, looks just like an unclean Word doc, with all the {0>

Direct link Reply with quote
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
German to English
+ ...
strange... Jul 24, 2007

WF normally updates (revises and cleans) each slide in turn, or sometimes individual text boxes in turn. I've occasionally had a slide or part of a slide remain un-updated after completing a session, although I didn't notice anything unusual during the session. Just the idea of having an entire document remain un-updated is enough to send shivers down my spine!

Aside from posting a query on the WF Yahoo forum (if it still exists; I found it such a zoo that I long since stopped bothering to visit it), the only thing I can suggest is to be sure not to open any other Office documents while you are in the middle of a translation session. WF can lose track of where it is under certain conditions (e.g if you open another Word document and place the cursor anywhere in the document, or as recently happened to me, if you enter a comment while WF is active), and when that happens you can obtain some rather strange results.

Good luck!

By the way, have you tried retranslating the document (should be a piece of cake with the TM already available), or part of it, to see what happens?

[Edited at 2007-07-24 13:26]

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:39
Member (2006)
French to English
Re-translate a good idea Jul 24, 2007

Ken Cox wrote:

By the way, have you tried retranslating the document (should be a piece of cake with the TM already available), or part of it, to see what happens?

[Edited at 2007-07-24 13:26]

Good idea Ken! I always anticipate that a problem or two will sneak in when translating PPT files. I allocate myself enough time to re-translate using my TM just in case.

You can even try to use WF's auto-translate (in the tools menu), but keep your fingers crossed. This has worked for me in the past, but not every time...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PPT does not clean up

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs