Mobile menu

How to make Wf find the setup of a text already translated?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:27
Czech to German
+ ...
Jul 28, 2007

Hi,

maybe I missed something basic to Wordfast (couldn't find anything in the manual either) but how can I make it recognise which TM (and setup) has been used with a given text? I got a document similar to one I had translated a long time ago so I just wanted to use Wf to do the new translation but I can't remember which name I had given to the setup and TM. Is there any way to have Wf find it out?

Many thanks in advance!

Charlotte

PS: Wordfast 5.50v, Office XP

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tricky Jul 28, 2007

Charlotte Blank wrote:

given text? I got a document similar to one I had translated a long time ago so I just wanted to use Wf to do the new translation but I can't remember which name I had given to the setup and TM. Is there any way to have Wf find it out?

To the best of my knowledge, the bilingual Word file does not include a record of what TM was used. So there are two options:

1) For future jobs, keep careful records of which TM you used for each project.

2) For this job, decide what TM you want to use, and "clean up" the bilingual file from the old job into that TM.

Regards.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Enter keywords Jul 28, 2007

I can't help you with this particular problem.

However, for the future, you can enter keywords for each TM (such as client, subject, PO no., etc.), that is stored in the header of the TM file. This makes it easier to find a particular TM file that you used "ages ago", even if you use Window's search function.

Sonja

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Search hard disk for key word Jul 28, 2007

Perhaps you could try using your OS's file search tool to search the hard disk (or the just folder where your TMs are stored) for a key word or phrase which you think the TM might include. Wordfast TMs are text files, so this should work well (I tried under Windows XP and it worked very well, even with Unicode text files).

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Partial member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I search for keywords, too Jul 28, 2007

but each time, I think it's very annoying indeed. It would be so nice if Wf told us which TM we used for a given document, but it doesn't!

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Too late for Charlotte Jul 28, 2007

Christel Zipfel wrote:

but each time, I think it's very annoying indeed. It would be so nice if Wf told us which TM we used for a given document, but it doesn't!

It's of no help to Charlotte but the Worfast Setup/Segments tab offers two options to link a Wordfast segmented document to its source: Link setup to documents and Link TM to documents.

I've never felt the need to use or test these features and the links might end up in the document properties, for everyone to see, but they are available.

Regards,
Gerard

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
search the TMs Jul 28, 2007

The only solution to this that I know (aside from maniacal record-keeping) is to search your TMs for keywords that are (relatively) unique to the documents concerned (such as a company name, product name or the like).

I keep all my WF TMs in a single folder, so it's easy to select that folder as the target environment for the Windows search function.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:27
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use Ken's method Jul 29, 2007

Highlight a sentence or a group of words and click on Context search. You should have all tms in one folder, so that Wf can search them all. Then you will get a list of the found occurences together with the names of the TM.
I use TM according to language combination. You know at least the language combination, then you can restrict the the number of possible tms.

Cheers
Heinrich

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it! Aug 2, 2007

Hi,

thank you all for answering! Meanwhile I found the TM

Christel Zipfel wrote:
It would be so nice if Wf told us which TM we used for a given document, but it doesn't!

We really should ask for this, maybe they didn't think of it yet...

Charlotte

Stuart Dykes
German to English
Link Document to TM Aug 2, 2007

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Christel Zipfel wrote:

It's of no help to Charlotte but the Worfast Setup/Segments tab offers two options to link a Wordfast segmented document to its source: Link setup to documents and Link TM to documents.

I've never felt the need to use or test these features and the links might end up in the document properties, for everyone to see, but they are available.

Regards,
Gerard

To follow up on Gerard's contribution, I am using the feature called Link Document to TM.

It's to be found in the Segments setup section. As the name suggests it allows you to link translations to a particular TM. I'm using this feature at the moment because I'm working on several jobs at the same time and I don't want to resume a translation using the wrong TM. When I open the document and the wrong TM is set I get a message asking me if I want to switch to the original TM.

It's a neat feature but it would be even better if you could link it the glossaries for that document as well! Or can you???

[Edited at 2007-08-02 10:12]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make Wf find the setup of a text already translated?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs