Thread poster: traductorchile
traductorchile
traductorchile  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 14, 2007

I have two problems when working with Wordfast. ¿someone knows what is the solution? I also have a problem with Babylon that might be related.

1.- When I close a translated segment both new opened segments jump to the top of the window and the source segment is placed out of the top of the window forcing me to scroll up to be able to view the source text.

2.- After a while translating normally, the icons can't be activated with 1 click of the mouse. I have to click tw
... See more
I have two problems when working with Wordfast. ¿someone knows what is the solution? I also have a problem with Babylon that might be related.

1.- When I close a translated segment both new opened segments jump to the top of the window and the source segment is placed out of the top of the window forcing me to scroll up to be able to view the source text.

2.- After a while translating normally, the icons can't be activated with 1 click of the mouse. I have to click two times with the mouse on each icon. In the same line, when it opens a new segment, I can't start writting inmediately in the target text, either I have to enter the first letter of my target text twice to start writting, or I have to click the target segment with the mouse before starting to write or my target text apears without the first letter.

3.- When I minimize the babylon window to continue with my translation, and I start writing in a Wordfast segment, in Word, or in an other appliance, the Babylon window jumps up again and the letters I have achieved to type appear in the Babylon search bar.

All this is quite annoying and reduces my speed.
Thanks for any help.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Get a more recent version of Wf Aug 15, 2007

You cannot expect too much from an outdated version of Wf. I use 5.0, but the most recent is somewhat 5.5. Probably your troubles will go away.
Cheers
Heinrich

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Answers Aug 15, 2007

traductorchile wrote:

Yes, very annoying. In the later versions of Wordfast it also happens, but usually only in large tables with very large cells. I can't tell you how to fix it, sorry. Does it happen with all documents or only with some of them.

2.- After a while translating normally, the icons can't be activated with 1 click of the mouse. I have to click two times with the mouse on each icon. In the same line, when it opens a new segment, I can't start writting inmediately in the target text, either I have to enter the first letter of my target text twice to start writting, or I have to click the target segment with the mouse before starting to write or my target text apears without the first letter.

This rings a bell. There is a PB option in the newer versions of Wordfast for it... I'm not sure if the option exists in the older versions. The Wordfast group at Yahoogroups may be able to tell you what exactly you can do about it.

I can't help with the Babylon problem, sorry.

We should start a support group for people using good old 3.35x.

Sigrid Beisel
Sigrid Beisel  Identity Verified
Yiddish to German
Missing first letters Aug 15, 2007

"...In the same line, when it opens a new segment, I can't start writting inmediately in the target text..."

I have the same problem, but only sometimes. I don't know what causes the problem, but I have a work-around: After pressing "Ctrl-Alt X" the field behaves correctly.

"Ctrl-Alt X" is shortcut for clearing the Target-Field but this is empty at that moment anyway.

traductorchile
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks chaps, Aug 15, 2007

now I have two tracks to follow Wf5.5 and Yahoogroups.

traductorchile
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I would like to thank you all for your help Aug 15, 2007

I upgraded Wordfast to 5.0 and it's been working fine, at least for an hour or so.
In any case I'll have in mind (or better write it down) to use Ctrl-Alt-X if it ever comes back.

well I still have the Babyon problem, but you don`t seem to have come up with that, so I'll try somewhere else.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day/week/month/year/etc.

Sigrid Beisel
Sigrid Beisel  Identity Verified
Yiddish to German
work-around Sep 12, 2007

Apart from the missing first letter my word behaved quite weird after opening a new segment. I had a lengthy correspondence with wordfast support about this.

Although the problem is not solved yet, I now have a better workaround:
I was told to avoid using Alt+Down to open a new segment but instead I should use the button to open it. This works fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Wordfast v.3.35x in Word 2003 SP2

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »