Anca Buzatu  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 18:48
Member (2008)
German to Romanian
+ ...
Aug 15, 2007

hello,

I have to translate a text using Trados and the client also needs the cleaned and uncleaned version and the translation memory in german-romanian(the targeted language).
Can I do this with wordfast as well?

Thanks,

Anca

Direct link Reply with quote

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Ask the client Aug 15, 2007

Hi,

Is your text in Word format? If yes, there shouldn't be a problem with the clean file, but I think it is really risky if you send the bilingual file done with Wf, because there are things treated differently by the two CAT tools. Also the translation memory will be in .txt or .tmx format.

I think you should ask your client if Wordfast is OK.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sometimes Aug 16, 2007

Anca Buzatu wrote:
I have to translate a text using Trados and the client also needs the cleaned and uncleaned version and the translation memory in german-romanian (the targeted language). Can I do this with Wordfast as well?

You can't produce a Trados memory with Wordfast. However, an uncleaned RTF of MS Word file created in Wordfast can be read in Trados, and it can be cleaned in Trados, and when you clean such a file in Trados, Trados creates a memory in its own format.

You can, however, produce a TMX memory with Wordfast, which Trados can read and convert to its own format. But it is better if the client simply produced a memory by cleaning a copy of the uncleaned file in Trados.

To echo what Dan had said... Wordfast can translate a number of formats, but not Trados TagEditor (TTX) files. However, there is no such thing as an uncleaned TTX file... and if the client had asked for an uncleaned file, then I suspect your source text is probably a Word document.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Wf does also ttx Aug 16, 2007

Isn't there a macro that allows to convert ttx-files for translation in Word. It also treats Transit-stuff so that you can use Wordfast.
Don't remember though where it is distributed.
Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

worfast-cleaned and uncleaned version

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs