Thread poster: Magdalena Szewciów

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:01
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 21, 2007

I've recently purchased a new computer with Vista and Word 2003. I've installed my Wordfast (ver.5.0z). Everything seems to work fine except for this one annoying thing: when I want to go to the next/previous segment and press ALT+DOWN/UP, the window with a Word file is becoming the last of all opened windows (at the back). As if I simply pressed ALT+TAB and changed the window I'm currently using. Awkward, innit? I do know, however, this problem has something to do with shortcuts because I tried to go to the next segment (several times!) using the appropriate icon. Nevertheless, I don't know what to do to solve the problem.

Please, help as this is sooo annoying + slows down my work so much.

Direct link Reply with quote

Shane Wall  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 12:01
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Not really a solution, but an idea to try Aug 21, 2007

Hi Magdalena (beautiful name BTW),
I thought somebody else would know more about this than me, so I didn't pay much attention to your post. However, since nobody seems willing to offer any help, I will have a try.

I 'run' MS XP SP2 and Office 2003 - not the same as your setup - because that is the most up-to-date combination that I know can work flawlessly with Wordfast (DISCLAIMER: Other loaded software can interfere).

Some troubleshooting things to try:
1) Ensure you only have 1 Word document open when using Wf;
2) Close ALL other programs except Word/Wordfast;
3) In Word, go to Tools>Templates & Add-ins (or whatever the equivalent is in Vista/2002). Uncheck (Deselect) everything except Wordfast.

Sorry there are no immediate solutions, but if you try those 3 systematically, I am fairly sure you will discover some more information that will help us solve your problem.

Cheers,
Shane

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 22, 2007

Shane, thank you for your reply. I've tried all the 3 options...
1) This one doesn't seem to work.
2) Well, this one works as the Word window remains "on top" but only because there are no other windows. Besides this one is impossible as - at least from time to time - I have to check certain things on the Internet and in electronic dictionaries.
3) Again, doesn't seem to work.

So far I've developed a "completely new method" of using Wordfast, which totally gets on my nerves: instead of ALT+DOWN, I left-click the relevant icon. But I can't go on like this forever.

Anyway, thanks again Shane!

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-( Still nothing Aug 23, 2007

I changed the shortcut to "WfNextSegment" and... exactly the same thing happens. Please, help!

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved Aug 27, 2007

TO admins: sorry to be answering to my own questions, but I guess people with the same problem would like to know the solution.

I solved the problem by de-installing Word&Wordfast and installing them again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast + Word 2003 in Vista - annoying problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs