https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/81844-exporting_wordfast_tm_and_importing_it_in_trados.html

Exporting Wordfast TM and importing it in Trados
Thread poster: TTilch
TTilch
TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
English to German
+ ...
Aug 22, 2007

Hello,

I am new to Wordfast and need your help. I would like to export the TM from Wordfast and subsequently import it in Trados.

In the documentation it says:
1. On Ms-Word's Wordfast toolbar, click the TM/Glossary editor button, click the Tools button, select the "Export to TMX" special filter to create a TMX export of your current TM.

I manage to find the TM editor button, but I do not find the mentioned options Tools" > Export to TMX. Where do I
... See more
Hello,

I am new to Wordfast and need your help. I would like to export the TM from Wordfast and subsequently import it in Trados.

In the documentation it says:
1. On Ms-Word's Wordfast toolbar, click the TM/Glossary editor button, click the Tools button, select the "Export to TMX" special filter to create a TMX export of your current TM.

I manage to find the TM editor button, but I do not find the mentioned options Tools" > Export to TMX. Where do I find this Tools button? The only one I see is the one below TM, Glossary, then Tools, Setup. This one does not offer the mentioned option Export to TMX though.

Can you help??

Best regards,

Tanja
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Okapi Olifant will do it, too Aug 22, 2007

TTilch wrote:

Hello,

Tanja

Hi Tanja,

Try Olifant, a free tool by a different Yves . You can find it here:

http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/ReadMe.htm

It will open a Wordfast TM and save it as TMX and vice versa.

It has many features and is great for maintenance of TMs in TMX and WF format.

HTH

Piotr

[Edited at 2007-08-22 19:55]

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:12
French to English
+ ...
Special filters Aug 22, 2007

Hi Tania,

If you click on the arrow next to special filters, the list opens up and Export to TMS is at the bottom. I just tried it and it works fine.

Good luck!

Claire

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
wrong menu Aug 22, 2007

TTilch wrote:

The only one I see is the one below TM, Glossary, then Tools, Setup. This one does not offer the mentioned option Export to TMX though.

Can you help??

Best regards,

Tanja

Hi Tanja,

You opened the wrong menu (WF's main menu by clicking on the "f" icon). You need to click on the TM editor icon (to the left of the "f", if you hover over it, it will say "TM Editor").

Go here, then click on the tools button. You'll find the export to TMX filter under the special filters drop-down menu.

Hope this helps,

John

TTilch
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still can't find it... Aug 22, 2007

John Di Rico wrote:

You opened the wrong menu (WF's main menu by clicking on the "f" icon). You need to click on the TM editor icon (to the left of the "f", if you hover over it, it will say "TM Editor").

Go here, then click on the tools button. You'll find the export to TMX filter under the special filters drop-down menu.

Hi John,

How do I find the right menu? All I have is the menu bar that opens when clicking on the "f" icon (showing me the buttons to start working on a text, i.e. open segment, ... insert placeable, the dictionary and concordance buttons etc. until the buttons for TM, Glossary, Tools, Setup etc. This seems to be the wrong menu according to you, right? Else I've got a menu within the Word menu bar to the very right called "Wordfast" (next to File, Edit, View...Help). Is it in here? If not, what should I see? I do not see any other "f" button like you said.

Best regards,

Tanja

[Bearbeitet am 2007-08-22 10:36]

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
second to last icon Aug 22, 2007

It should be the second to the last button (icon) on the open WF menu bar. It's a white square with two gray horizontal lines in it. Click on this icon to open the TM editor. You should see your TUs and a Tools button.

Good luck,

John

http://wordfast.net/video/tm_management/tm_management.html at 2'31" this training video talks about the TM
... See more
It should be the second to the last button (icon) on the open WF menu bar. It's a white square with two gray horizontal lines in it. Click on this icon to open the TM editor. You should see your TUs and a Tools button.

Good luck,

John

http://wordfast.net/video/tm_management/tm_management.html at 2'31" this training video talks about the TM editor

[Edited at 2007-08-22 10:39]
Collapse

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Your versions of Wordfast and Word? Aug 22, 2007

Tanja, which versions of Wordfast and MS Word are you using? Older Wordfast versions (3 and 4) don't have the TM Editor (there used to be an Export button on the TM tab in Wordfast). Also, if you are using Mac Word, rather than Word for Windows, Wordfast's user interface in recent versions of Wordfast is different.

[Edited at 2007-08-22 11:14]

TTilch
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Versions Aug 22, 2007

David Daduc wrote:

Tanja, which versions of Wordfast and MS Word are you using? Older Wordfast versions (3 and 4) don't have the TM Editor (there used to be an Export button on the TM tab in Wordfast). Also, if you are using Mac Word, rather than Word for Windows, Wordfast's user interface in recent versions of Wordfast is different.

[Edited at 2007-08-22 11:14]

Hi David,

I am using MS Word 2004 (Mac) and Wordfast 5.5.

I managed to find the right button (at least I think so, it fits the description given), but there does not happen much when I click on it. The TM content is opened and shown, and in very rare cases I get another window shown with a "Tools" button in the upper right corner and some sort of green and blue line without any content (looks like open segments without any text in it). This is maybe what to look for/use?

Best regards,

Tanja

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Exporting to TMX on the Mac Aug 22, 2007

TTilch wrote:
I am using MS Word 2004 (Mac) and Wordfast 5.5.

I see. I believe the TM Editor icon is the last one shown on your Wordfast green-blue toolbar. Click the TM Editor icon. If you are asked whether you want to edit the TM in MS Word directly, answer No (or Cancel) to make sure the TM Editor opens. Then click the "Tools" button in the top right corner of the TM Editor window that appears. Finally, select "Export TM to TMX" under Special Filter and click OK. Wordfast will create the TMX file for you and save it in the folder where your TM is located.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jean-Philippe Odent's tool Aug 23, 2007

TTilch wrote:

Jean-Philippe Odent wrote a nice little tool that converts between TMX and WF TM quickly with the appropriate encoding. It can be a lifesaver, especially when WF doesn't want to recognise a TMX file. It is called Wf2Tmx.zip and you'll find it in the Files section of the Wordfast mailing list at Yahoogroups.

TTilch
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 23, 2007

Hi David,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I had two very busy days and had to use a workaround for that particular project. Now I have a few minutes to follow up your suggestions (as I will certainly need this function again with other projects).

Choosing "No" seems to do the trick, now I do get another dialogue which only appeared sporadically before when I chose "Yes" (edit it in Word). The TM has been exported as TMX now, and now I hope that it can properl
... See more
Hi David,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I had two very busy days and had to use a workaround for that particular project. Now I have a few minutes to follow up your suggestions (as I will certainly need this function again with other projects).

Choosing "No" seems to do the trick, now I do get another dialogue which only appeared sporadically before when I chose "Yes" (edit it in Word). The TM has been exported as TMX now, and now I hope that it can properly re-imported in Trados... (I still have to try this).

Piotr & Samuel,
Thank you also for your suggestions, I am going to make a note of them and try them out when I have a bit more time at hand.

Best regards,

Tanja
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting Wordfast TM and importing it in Trados

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »