Wordfast: how skip struck out text ?
Thread poster: Paul Svensson
Paul Svensson
Paul Svensson  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:06
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 7, 2003

I have a document with large amounts of struck out text. Per instructions from the client, this text should be left as is, untranslated. Can I configure Wordfast to do this automagically, or do I have sit and hit <ALT-INS> for each struck out segment ?

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:06
English to French
Yes, Wordfast can do that Feb 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-07 17:23, psvensson wrote:

I have a document with large amounts of struck out text. Per instructions from the client, this text should be left as is, untranslated. Can I configure Wordfast to do this automagically, or do I have sit and hit for each struck out segment ?

Not really \"automagically\" (quite a lapsus there) but pretty easy still. The concept is simple. All you... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-07 17:23, psvensson wrote:

I have a document with large amounts of struck out text. Per instructions from the client, this text should be left as is, untranslated. Can I configure Wordfast to do this automagically, or do I have sit and hit for each struck out segment ?

Not really \"automagically\" (quite a lapsus there) but pretty easy still. The concept is simple. All you have to do is to define the struck out text as untranslatable.

Go to \"setup\", tab called \"ext\". At the bottom, you will find a drop down list with font attributes which you can select. All the text with the selected font attribute will be considered untranslatable.

If your \"struck out\" text is struck out with the \"double strike through\", all you have to do is to select \"doublestrikethrough\" and exit setup after saving the ini file, of course.

If your struck out text is struck out by a single line, do a find and replace to assign one of the possible untranslatable attributes (double strikethrough, marching red ants, 25% gray) to it, then set the attribute as untranslatable...and don\'t forget to revert once your doc is translated and cleaned.

(Leave the find&replace boxes empty. Just find \"strikethrough\" -more, format, font, strikethrough- and replace with whatever untranslatable font attribute you want)

Important: either you create a new ini for that job (worth it if over a few thousand words), or make sure that you don\'t forget to cancel the untranslatable setting after your job is done. ▲ Collapse

Derek Smith
Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Tank Yew Feb 7, 2003

Thanks indeed sylver (and Paul for axing) - that\'s very helpful also for my current job

For \"automagically\" see (for example)

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/a/automagically.html

Cheers

Derek

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:06
English to French
Automagically. Feb 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-07 19:48, dvsmith wrote:

Thanks indeed sylver (and Paul for axing) - that\'s very helpful also for my current job

Cheers

Derek

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-07 19:48, dvsmith wrote:

Cheers

Derek

Welcome. I didn\'t know \"automagically\" existed. Good word. I\'ll keep that one in my log. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast: how skip struck out text ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »