Mobile menu

segments left open after clean up
Thread poster: lila23
lila23  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:13
English to French
Sep 18, 2007

Hi everybody,

When I finished cleaning up my document, I noticed that there were two segments that were left open. One grey with the source text that hasn't been cleaned up and one green segment with the target text How can I get rid of them? I tried "delete' it didn't work. Obviously, these segments are bad and didn't clean up the right way.
How can I solve this problem?
I would appreciate your help
Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:13
Member (2006)
French to English
Turn off delimiter protection Sep 18, 2007

Hi Lila23,

You should be able to delete the hidden text. You might have to press ctl+alt+F12 to turn off the delimiter protection (look at thebottom of your screen when you do it, it tells you if the protection is ON or OFF).

You can also fix the problem in the .bak file and reclean to make sure everything got updated into your TM.

Finally, you can come to the Wordfast training in Montreal in a couple of weeks, stay for the Proz regional conference, and meet Wordfast's creator, Yves Champollion!

Hope this helps,

John

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
it happens Sep 18, 2007

To delete the source text and delimiters, either press control+alt+12 to turn off the protection (as John says), or just highlight everything you want to delete and hit the space bar.

to get rid of the green background, click in an area of the final target text and press "copy format" then highlight the entire area in green. This will turn it back to white background.

[Edited at 2007-09-18 18:38]

English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Sep 18, 2007

Thanks John and Marie Hélène.
I found a way to turn off the delimiters 'protection from the set up menu and I deleted the segments.
John, I would've loved to attend those training courses but right now it's impossible for me.
Thanks a lot to both of you

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It happens Sep 18, 2007

lila23 wrote:
When I finished cleaning up my document, I noticed that there were two segments that were left open. ... I tried "delete' it didn't work. Obviously, these segments are bad and didn't clean up the right way.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the poor segments. More likely the Wordfast creator is a sloppy programmer (to give you one other example, the coffee function in Wordfast often makes hot chocolate instead).

You can delete them by disabling protection (I think it is Ctrl+Alt+F12). Remember to enable protection again when you're done.

You may also be able to delete them by selecting "Cut" from the context menu.

Finally you can also get rid fo them by selecting them and pressing the space bar (it will then replace it with a space), but then you must remember to select the space and press Ctrl+space to change it into Default Paragraph Style.

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:13
Spanish to English
I just cut Sep 19, 2007

I just use the cut function to get rid of them.

English to French
TOPIC STARTER
bad segments Sep 19, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

lila23 wrote:
When I finished cleaning up my document, I noticed that there were two segments that were left open. ... I tried "delete' it didn't work. Obviously, these segments are bad and didn't clean up the right way.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the poor segments. More likely the Wordfast creator is a sloppy programmer (to give you one other example, the coffee function in Wordfast often makes hot chocolate instead).

You can delete them by disabling protection (I think it is Ctrl+Alt+F12). Remember to enable protection again when you're done.

You may also be able to delete them by selecting "Cut" from the context menu.

Finally you can also get rid fo them by selecting them and pressing the space bar (it will then replace it with a space), but then you must remember to select the space and press Ctrl+space to change it into Default Paragraph Style.

Hi Samuel,
I tried the Ctrl +Alt+F12 but for some reason it didn'' t work. I also tried the Ctrl+space and it didn't work either. So I went to setup/segments and I unchecked the delimiters protection box and when I pressed delete they disappeared.
I rechecked the box again.
Thanks a lot for the good tips

English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 19, 2007

Lesley Clarke wrote:

I 'll try that next time. Thanks a lot Lesley.

Albert Stufkens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Deleting Oct 15, 2007

By highlighting and right-clicking and choosing for "cut" one can indeed delete everything including delimiters!
This is the simplest solution of them all.

Lesley Clarke wrote:

[Edited at 2007-10-15 10:40]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

segments left open after clean up

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs