Mobile menu

Problem with TM and Glossary in Greek (txt files)
Thread poster: xxxLatin_Hellas
xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Local time: 15:18
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 24, 2007

Hi All,

I recently did a GR-EN translation, trying to use Wordfast, but the Greek parts of the TM and Glossary in txt came out gibberish, and I wound up doing the translation without the aid of a CAT.

What do I need to do next time? Do I have to set the fonts of the txt file to Greek? How does that affect the English parts? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sigrid Beisel  Identity Verified
Yiddish to German
Greek TM and Glossary Sep 24, 2007

Try this:

After creating the new TM and Glossary for the translation job, close Word and open both files in an ordinary Note-Pad-Editor. Select "Save as" and make sure, you have selected not "ANSI" but "UNICODE" as coding.

This worked fine with me (I do a Greek-German translation at the moment).

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 24, 2007

Thanks Sigrid,

In the meantime, I did figure it out myself (there was a lon delay in my post being approved) and also, in case of interest, I also read the following alternative solution: open the TM/Glossary Editor by clicking its icon on the Wordfast toolbar. At the top of the Editor, you can switch to your glossary. Then click "Tools", select "Rewrite as Unicode" among Special Filters and click OK. That's it.

Thanks again and I hope this can be of future help to others.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with TM and Glossary in Greek (txt files)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs