TTX files
Thread poster: Britt Laux
Britt Laux
Britt Laux  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:37
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Nov 7, 2007

I have been using Wordfast for 2 years now and I'm very happy with the tool. It is easy to learn and use, and up to now I could get the same jobs as if I had had Trados. But suddenly the format TTX appeared. I learned about TTXpress, but as I understand, it is not so easy to use.

How often is this format used? Is this the point where I should get Trados and give up Wordfast?

Advise or comments, anyone?

Roman Bulkiewicz
Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TTXpress IS easy to use Nov 7, 2007

BrittDL wrote:

I learned about TTXpress, but as I understand, it is not so easy to use.

Why? Press a button, choose a file (TTX), and there you are - you got an RTF which you can translate with Wordfast. When you are done, press another button, choose your RTF - you have your TTX translated. What can be easier?

However, "blind" conversion (if you don't have Tageditor to open TTX) is a dangerous thing. There can be errors with conversion, and sometimes Wordfast skips segments in the converted RTF file, so you may need to do some "manual adjustments". Perhaps trial version of Trados will be sufficient for this.

Yet another thing is that Trados and Wordfast-segmented documents are not fully compatible. E.g., Wordfast cannot process footnotes, while Trados (2007) can.

Is this the point where I should get Trados and give up Wordfast?

Why, you can get Trados and keep using Wordfast.

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
But it can! Nov 7, 2007

Roman Bulkiewicz wrote:
E.g., Wordfast cannot process footnotes, while Trados (2007) can.

The only problem is that it does not open the headers/footers automatically - you must get there manually. But as soon as you are inside, everything works OK.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TTXpress can work... Nov 8, 2007

BrittDL wrote:
But suddenly the format TTX appeared. I learned about TTXpress, but as I understand, it is not so easy to use.

TTXpress is nice, if it works. It doesn't work on my computer, but it had worked on some other computers I worked on.

Vladislav Badalov
Vladislav Badalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:37
Russian to English
+ ...
TTXpress vs. PlusToyz Nov 9, 2007

Hi,

I tried to convert a formatted ITD file from SDLX Lite into Word RTF to translate it using Wordfast. The ITD to TTX conversion through the SDLX's "Export to TradosTag TTX format" went smoothly. Then I had to convert the resulting file into RTF using a TTX filter. I have two such filters: TTXpress and PlusToyz. However, these filters produced strikingly different internal and external tags in the corresponding RTF files. I noticed that the portion of the text with no formatting i
... See more
Hi,

I tried to convert a formatted ITD file from SDLX Lite into Word RTF to translate it using Wordfast. The ITD to TTX conversion through the SDLX's "Export to TradosTag TTX format" went smoothly. Then I had to convert the resulting file into RTF using a TTX filter. I have two such filters: TTXpress and PlusToyz. However, these filters produced strikingly different internal and external tags in the corresponding RTF files. I noticed that the portion of the text with no formatting in SDLX had no internal (red) tags in the PlusToyz-produced RTF file but the TTXpress-produced file DID have both internal and external ones!!! Which do you think is correct? Thanx a bunch!

Best wishes,

Vlad
Collapse

Edward L. Crosby III
Edward L. Crosby III  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:37
German to English
+ ...
TTXpress, Plustoyz VB compile errors Feb 20, 2008

Samuel,

TTXpress doesn't work on my system, either (Office '97 + Wordfast). When I click the "TTX Open" button on the TTXpress toolbar, I get a "Compile error in hidden module: TTXpress", and if I then expand the Wordfast toolbar, the TTXpress toolbar disappears completely. I have to close Word and reopen it to get the toolbar back.

Is that a known problem resulting from the use of TTXpress with an older version of MS Word? Other than upgrading to a newer version of Off
... See more
Samuel,

TTXpress doesn't work on my system, either (Office '97 + Wordfast). When I click the "TTX Open" button on the TTXpress toolbar, I get a "Compile error in hidden module: TTXpress", and if I then expand the Wordfast toolbar, the TTXpress toolbar disappears completely. I have to close Word and reopen it to get the toolbar back.

Is that a known problem resulting from the use of TTXpress with an older version of MS Word? Other than upgrading to a newer version of Office, is there a fix or workaround?

Interestingly, I also get a compile error when running the ttx2seg macro in Plustoyz, which is supposed to convert TTX files into "Trados-like" segmented text. In this case, the error is a "Compile error: Method or data member not found" on the following line:

.Font.Color = wdColorAutomatic

I wonder if both errors are due to my older version of MS Word/Visual Basic?

Regards,

Ed
[email protected]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TTX files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »