Mobile menu

Wordfast 5.5
Thread poster: Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:30
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 8, 2007

I've just realized there are upgrades of Wordfast.
Do you know where and how I can download them?
Should I download WF again?
Thanks
Lucia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:30
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can Nov 8, 2007

You can always download the latest version from the Wf-website and exchange the old dot-file with the newer one.
Cheers
Heinrich


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:30
Italian to English
+ ...
You can download an upgrade, but are you sure you want to? Nov 8, 2007

If (like me) you don't use many of the advanced features and you're happy with the version you currently use, you may be advised not to upgrade. I upgraded a year or so ago from about version 3.1 to version 5.50i, and I actually lost one of the most important features for me - compatibility with Trados. This is a huge inconvenience, as whereas previously I could incorporate any Trados TM sent by by clients I now have to ask them each time to sent it in the right format (they invariably send it in Unicode 8, which WF no longer supports). I have no intention of using Trados but equally I dislike causing my clients extra work and hassle.

So my advice is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree, somewhat Nov 8, 2007

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
If (like me) you don't use many of the advanced features and you're happy with the version you currently use, you may be advised not to upgrade.


I agree. In fact, you can consider every new version of Wordfast as a testing version, because new bugs find their way into each new version. It is, nonetheless, useful to upgrade regularly. What you might want to do, is to check the WF web site and see for how long the current version has been the current version. If longer than, say, a month, then you can bet it is reasonably bug free.

I upgraded a year or so ago from about version 3.1 to version 5.50i, and I actually lost one of the most important features for me - compatibility with Trados.


Yes, some features that were present in the earlier versions have been dumped in later versions, including stuff that I also miss dearly (for example the ability to hide hidden text, or the feature whereby phrase matching was done, or the feature whereby a very low fuzzy match threshold could be set).


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:30
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You might have convinced me Nov 8, 2007

I think you are right, unless the new updates are so important for my job better to stay with the current version.

Sincerely, recently I had bought Trados which I needed for Tageditor and everybody (including collegues and agencies) asking for Trados. As soon as I saw it I decided it was mine !
But just after less than on emonth I realized it was not user-friendly and too complicated.

Eventually I decided to go back and start working with WF again. Perhaps, now WF will appear on a different light

Thanks for your repliesLucia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Albert Stufkens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:30
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hidden text Nov 10, 2007

If you are using Word 2007 you can find back what you dearly loved: the possibility to hide hidden text.
In Word 2007: go to options > display > uncheck the item "hidden text".

But personally I love the display of hidden text while I am working: for my quality control.

Good luck

Samuel Murray wrote:

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
If (like me) you don't use many of the advanced features and you're happy with the version you currently use, you may be advised not to upgrade.


I agree. In fact, you can consider every new version of Wordfast as a testing version, because new bugs find their way into each new version. It is, nonetheless, useful to upgrade regularly. What you might want to do, is to check the WF web site and see for how long the current version has been the current version. If longer than, say, a month, then you can bet it is reasonably bug free.

I upgraded a year or so ago from about version 3.1 to version 5.50i, and I actually lost one of the most important features for me - compatibility with Trados.


Yes, some features that were present in the earlier versions have been dumped in later versions, including stuff that I also miss dearly (for example the ability to hide hidden text, or the feature whereby phrase matching was done, or the feature whereby a very low fuzzy match threshold could be set).



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Albert Stufkens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:30
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Trados Nov 10, 2007

Thank you for giving me peace of mind.
I always struggled with doubts as to whether Trados has any added value.

Lucia Messuti wrote:

But just after less than on emonth I realized it was not user-friendly and too complicated.

Eventually I decided to go back and start working with WF again. Perhaps, now WF will appear on a different light

Thanks for your repliesLucia


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 5.5

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs