Mobile menu

Spanish direct speech within segments
Thread poster: David Burrows

David Burrows  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:53
Spanish to English
Nov 21, 2007

I have just started to use wordfast to translate from Spanish into English and have come across the following problem: the segments do not include the dash at the beginning of direct speech and are therefore transferred into the translated document.

Eg: -¡Alto! becomes -"Stop!" (with an unnecessary dash)

If I move the dash into the segment box it interferes with the tags. Is there a way to make wordfast recognise the dash/direct speech (possibly a Pandora's Box item?)

Direct link Reply with quote

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Why? Dec 10, 2007

I'm sorry to reply so late, but I wonder why you want the dash inside the segment. If I'm not wrong, after the clean-up, the segment will be again connected to the dash.

David Burrows  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
The dashes are transferred to the cleaned document Dec 11, 2007

Thank-you for your reply.

When segmenting the document, the dashes denoting direct speech are left outside the segment box and therefore, after the clean-up they are left in the translated text.
For example:

-Señor -murmuró Íñigo entre dientes-, es imposible pasar de este punto.
-¡Imposible! ¿Y por qué?
-Porque esa trocha -prosiguió el montero- conduce a la fuente de los Álamos...

-“My Lord,” -Íñigo murmured between his teeth, “To go past this point is impossible."
-“Impossible! Why?”
-“Because this path” -continued the beater, “leads to the Álamos spring...

i.e. Instead of 'translating' the dashes into speech marks they are left in the text, where they are unnecessary and incorrect.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spanish direct speech within segments

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs