Thread poster: Leonardo La Malfa

Leonardo La Malfa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:52
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 6, 2007

Hello everyone,

I've recently bought Wordfast, and translated my first text. As soon as I finished, I expected the TM to contain automatically the new Translation Units used for my translation, namely, the new solutions found for those segments which weren't previously contained in the TM I received from the agency. But I manually opened the TM and looked for the phrases, just to discover that there is no trace. I also double-checked it, by simulating the same translation process and opened a few segments, but it looked like my work has left no record in the TM. Shouldn't I get 100% match for those segments I already translated? I saved both original and new (cleaned and uncleaned) documents, how can I update the TM with the new TU's? And how can I set this feature to automatic, for the future? Many thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Clean up phase Dec 6, 2007

Hi Leonardo,

A couple of things to check:

a) You may have inadvertently created a TM or instructed the program to use a different TM, so when you look in the agency's TM the new items are not to be found.

b) When you clean up a document, bear in mind that the "Quick clean" feature does NOT update the TM - so the work is effectively lost (to the best of my limited knowledge)

To ensure that TUs are stored and the TM is updated you need to use the Clean feature in Tools. This WILL update the TM.

When you cleaned up the document, do you remember any box asking you whether you wanted to "update the TM"?

Cheers,
Andy

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Contact Yves Dec 6, 2007

If you've bought a licence, you're entitled to free technical help from Yves and his colleagues, so I suggest you send them an email (they usually reply within minutes - a couple of hours was the longest I've ever had to wait).

Let us know what they say, anyway! It happens to me occasionally and I don't know why, although I have a feeling that if I have the TM open in Notepad while I'm working then it doesn't add new TUs.

You could also try cleaning up your translation and see if your new TUs "stick" that way.

Sorry, I see you said you'd already cleaned your file - maybe you could try cleaning up the backup (with the TM closed) and see if it works this time.

[Edited at 2007-12-06 18:57]

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Your expectations are correct Dec 6, 2007

To make sure Wordfast saves segments you translate in the TM, check if you properly selected the TM in Wordfast (its name should be shown on the TM tab in Wordfast) and if "This TM is active" is checked on the TM tab.

To fill your TM with your new translation, clean up a copy of the bilingual document. Clean up from the Tools tab; don't use QuickClean. Click Yes when asked if you want to have the TM updated.

(If you are using a Mac, rather than PC, the user interface does not show tabs but you should be able to find the corresponding commands in the toolbar menus.)

Leonardo La Malfa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I see (them)! Dec 6, 2007

David Daduc wrote:

To fill your TM with your new translation, clean up a copy of the bilingual document. Clean up from the Tools tab; don't use QuickClean. Click Yes when asked if you want to have the TM updated.

Thank you so much, David, for your clear answer! Actually, I did use QuickClean, and now I know why I couldn't have my TM updated. Now everything works fine (well, I do, because WF already did!), and my TU's have been added successfully. Your brief post was more useful to me than several pages of manual. Thanks also to Marie-Hélène (and Andy - sorry, I read your useful post only now, strangely).

[Edited at 2007-12-06 23:31]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast: where are my new TU's?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs