Thread poster: Sabine Doerfler

Sabine Doerfler
Germany
Local time: 13:11
English to German
+ ...
Jan 8, 2008

Hi all,

I've only used Wordfast once so far and am not sure how I can make sequences shorter than a sentence (e.g. every 5 words). Can someone give me a quick tip?

Thanks in advance, Sabine

Direct link Reply with quote

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Why? Jan 8, 2008

Hi, Sabine,

Wordfast is one of the most adaptable CAT tools out there, but still its limits are set by the usefulness of the operations. I cannot imagine why you would want to segment the text in 5-words units. If you have a special situation, please describe it and we will try to help.

Best,
Dan

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you mean segments? Jan 9, 2008

In Wordfast you can use forced segmentation: select a chunk of text and press alt+shift+down.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-01-09 07:49]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not possible in WF Jan 9, 2008

Sabine Doerfler wrote:
...make sequences shorter than a sentence (e.g. every 5 words).

You can't do this in WF, unless you segment manually like Heinrich said. But think about it... there won't be any advantages to segmenting to anything smaller than a phrase (and since phrases are often nested inside other structures in a sentence, or since the presence or position of a phrase often impacts on word order etc in other sections of a sentence, the shortest really useful segment size is a whole sentence).

Here, I used the Afrikaans version of your post and then translated it into English using your 5-word approach:

==

AF: Ek het Wordfast nog net een keer tevore gebruik, en ek wonder hoe kan ek segmente van minder as 'n sin lank maak (bv elke 5 woorde). Kan enige iemand my dalk 'n kort wenk gee?

Ek het Wordfast nog net = I have Wordfast still only
een keer tevore gebruik, en = used once before, and
ek wonder hoe kan ek = I wonder how I can
segmente van minder as 'n = segments of less than a
sin lank maak (bv elke = sentence long make (eg every
5 woorde). Kan enige iemand = 5 words). Can anyone
my dalk 'n wenk kort = perhaps to me a short tip
gee? = give?

EN: I have Wordfast still only used once before, and I wonder how I can segments of less than a sentence long make (eg every 5 words). Can anyone perhaps to me a short tip give?

==

Not very good English, even though my translation of every segment was quite good enough.

[Edited at 2008-01-09 05:11]

Sabine Doerfler
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Create Wordfast sequences Jan 11, 2008

Hi guys, thank you very much for your fast replies and your help! I did mean segments, of course, and not sequences ... as I said, I'm a new user ... and the translation in question was a long job application with endless sentences about the applicant's professional achievements, so smaller "units" were necessary to handle it.

I managed to do so by using your recommended key combination, Heinrich! And, of course it's also true what you, Dan and Sam, wrote ... in general, I wouldn't segment sentences, either.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Cheers, Sabine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create Wordfast sequences

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs