Thread poster: Lilia Shtakser
Lilia Shtakser
Germany
Local time: 23:14
English to German
+ ...
Jan 17, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I have used Wordfast for the first time to translate into Russian now and see that instead of full sentences (for full matches) it gives me some characters (which are right) and many many question marks. It seems to have some problem with the cyrillic alphabet.

My question is: is it just me or had somebody else the same problem? What I am to do about it?

Thank you all!

Lilia

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-01-18 09:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
sounds like an encoding issue Jan 17, 2008

In what format did you save your TM? You might need Unicode for Russian? What version of WF? You might try searching the wordfast yahoo group for better answers (you can find it at wordfast.net and sign up, then search the archives).

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:14
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
I have no problem with Cyrillic Jan 18, 2008

Do you realize that Wordfast by default saves its translation memories in the system's default encoding? In simple words, if you use Wordfast+Word on Windows with a Western European locale, your TM will be in CP1252 which, obviously, does not contain Cyrillic. So, just re-save your TM in Unicode.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:14
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Technically incorrect Jan 18, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:

In what format did you save your TM?

You can't save a WF's TM in any other format than WF's (you can only export it to TMX). The difference may be about the encoding.

Lilia Shtakser
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But how to do it? Jan 18, 2008

Thank you both,

esperantisto, and how can I re-save the TM in Unicode? Sorry for being a complete "чайник" in this regard.

My TM and Glossaries for WF are simple txt format, and if I open the German-Russian one, the cyrillic characters there are a complete mess.

So how do I do it?

Thanks
Lilia

[Bearbeitet am 2008-01-18 08:00]

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Yes Jan 18, 2008

esperantisto wrote:

Lori Cirefice wrote:

In what format did you save your TM?

You can't save a WF's TM in any other format than WF's (you can only export it to TMX). The difference may be about the encoding.

Yes, that's what I meant, you are right to clarify - when I open up my TM and "save as", I can choose between different kinds of encoding, but the format is still the same.

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Unicode Jan 18, 2008

Lilia Shtakser wrote:

and how can I re-save the TM in Unicode?

Open TM Editor on your toolbar, click Tools, open the Special Filters dropdown menu and select Rewrite TM as Unicode.

Good luck,
Dan

[Edited at 2008-01-18 09:11]

Lilia Shtakser
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still there Jan 18, 2008

Thank you Dan,

I have tried this, but the question marks are still there. I will see if I can find something in wordfast forums about it.

Bye

Lilia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian characters garbled

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs