WF startup: reminder for which TM is in use?
Thread poster: Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:54
Spanish to English
Feb 7, 2008

Hello.

I use Wordfast pretty extensively on various projects with various TMs during the day. I often run into a problem where, after switching projects, I forget which TM I am using and start translating and generating TUs in the wrong TM. Wordfast doesn't really do a good job of making it clear which TM is in use (it does show it at the very bottom of the screen), but I need a way for it to clearly remind me which one is in use when it starts up.

Can anyone make a
... See more
Hello.

I use Wordfast pretty extensively on various projects with various TMs during the day. I often run into a problem where, after switching projects, I forget which TM I am using and start translating and generating TUs in the wrong TM. Wordfast doesn't really do a good job of making it clear which TM is in use (it does show it at the very bottom of the screen), but I need a way for it to clearly remind me which one is in use when it starts up.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks,
Elliot
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
Italian to English
+ ...
No recommendation - happens to me all the time! Feb 7, 2008

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:54
French to English
+ ...
Me too! Feb 7, 2008

I usually realise several paragraphs in when I know I should have been getting matches and haven't! Then I have to go back into the TM and cut and paste the new (wrong units) into the correct TM. Not a huge problem, but a reminder would be a great idea!

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:54
French to English
+ ...
I get a warning Feb 7, 2008

I think I found the solution to this on here, or in the wordfast yahoo group, but I link my translations to TMs, so when I start with the wrong one it warns me, but I'm not sure how I did it now.......

I think I came across the solution when looking for something else, it's a matter of ticking "link TM to document" somewhere, but I really can't work out where I did it! I hope someone more helpful knows, if I remember I will let you know.

Sorry, not very helpful, but it
... See more
I think I found the solution to this on here, or in the wordfast yahoo group, but I link my translations to TMs, so when I start with the wrong one it warns me, but I'm not sure how I did it now.......

I think I came across the solution when looking for something else, it's a matter of ticking "link TM to document" somewhere, but I really can't work out where I did it! I hope someone more helpful knows, if I remember I will let you know.

Sorry, not very helpful, but it is possible.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Setup - Segments Feb 7, 2008

Ah - thanks Paula. It's under Setup - Segments - Link TM to documents. I haven't tried it yet, but that looks promising. I'll report back if it works (or otherwise).

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Habit Feb 8, 2008

After suffering from this for a while, all I can recommend is:
a) try to get in the habit of always clicking the big italic "f" Wordfast button whenever you first open a translation
b) write which TM you are using on your to do list, so when you look at your list to see what to do next, you are reminded to switch TM (if appropriate)

Claire Cox wrote:

I usually realise several paragraphs in when I know I should have been getting matches and haven't! Then I have to go back into the TM and cut and paste the new (wrong units) into the correct TM. Not a huge problem, but a reminder would be a great idea!

Akshully, you don't
To get the new segments into the right TM, do "Select TM" so you are working with the right TM (naturally) in your working (i.e. unclean) document and go back to where you first went wrong. Start translating - Alt + down arrow. The segment will appear, with your translation, not retrieved from the "wrong" TM but 'cos it's in the document anyway. Just Alt + Down your way through your work, and it will write your segments to the right TM (also, of course, serves as a mini review)

You still have to cut the stuff out of the "wrong" TM, but you don't have to paste it back into the "right" one if you have done the above.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF startup: reminder for which TM is in use?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »