Is this TM active?
Thread poster: Alice Klingener
Alice Klingener
Alice Klingener  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:24
Swedish to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2008

This is my first time working with a TM sent by a client, so please bear with me. I received a TM file, called WFMemory_Clientname.txt I put it in my TM folder, fired up WordFast, and selected this file as the active TM. So far, so good.

The document I am to translate it quite brief, and so far WF is not making *any* match suggestions, so I don't know if this TM is doing what it is supposed to do. Is there some way to make sure it's active, and that I'm using the client's preferred
... See more
This is my first time working with a TM sent by a client, so please bear with me. I received a TM file, called WFMemory_Clientname.txt I put it in my TM folder, fired up WordFast, and selected this file as the active TM. So far, so good.

The document I am to translate it quite brief, and so far WF is not making *any* match suggestions, so I don't know if this TM is doing what it is supposed to do. Is there some way to make sure it's active, and that I'm using the client's preferred vocabulary?

I don't have a sense yet of how likely it is that WF would suggest a match, since I've just started using it recently.

Any advice/feedback appreciated, thanks!
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:24
French to English
a few things Feb 21, 2008

Under the select TM button, you have the "reorganize" button, try doing that at the start of a translation session.

Also, have you discovered context search ? Try highlighting a word and then Ctrl+Alt+C and it will bring up a list of contexts in the TM where that word is found. Even if you aren't getting any 100% matches from this TM, the context search can still help search the TM for your client's preferred terminology.

Did you do an analysis with the TM active?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some ideas... Feb 21, 2008

Alice Klingener wrote:
The document I am to translate it quite brief, and so far WF is not making *any* match suggestions, so I don't know if this TM is doing what it is supposed to do.

Check to see if WF had recognised the TM at all. Sometimes it will accept a TM without complaint, but it will not recognise any TUs in it. You can check this by checking how many segments WF says the TM contains. If WF says "1 segment" or "0 segments", then you know the TM didn't work.

Also, check to see if any of your sentences do actually occur in the TM. I know this is obviously, but I have to ask, just to be sure we're not missing the obvious here.

And as Lori had said, a good reorganise can't hurt. Windows must be rebooted often, and a WF TM must be reorged often.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Another idea Feb 21, 2008

You can also open the TM in Notepad and check what it contains directly.

Alice Klingener
Alice Klingener  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:24
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Progress: directory problems, some context matches Feb 21, 2008

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, guys. I did find one other problem: when I first started using WF, I created my very first TM in a client/project/ subdirectory. Even though I now have a folder for TMs, I saw that WF shows the working directory for the new TM as being the old client directory, which is wrong. I ended up making a copy of the new TM in the "wrong" subdirectory, and I am now getting some context matches (after following the other helpful suggestions given here).

So
... See more
Thanks for the tips and suggestions, guys. I did find one other problem: when I first started using WF, I created my very first TM in a client/project/ subdirectory. Even though I now have a folder for TMs, I saw that WF shows the working directory for the new TM as being the old client directory, which is wrong. I ended up making a copy of the new TM in the "wrong" subdirectory, and I am now getting some context matches (after following the other helpful suggestions given here).

So now if I try Ctr-Alt-C I get some context matches. Otherwise there are no "suggestions" from WF. Is this about what I should expect if there are no complete sentences that match?

Also it would be good to know how to inform WordFast of the correct working directories for TMs.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this TM active?

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »