Gregory Flanders  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:14
Partial member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2008

Hello everyone,

As far as I understand from the manual, Wordfast doesn't allow page breaks in TU's. However, I'm translating a book that requires very specific pagination, which means that sentences are often split in the middle by a page break. Ex:

This sentence on page 1 is broken by a page break at page 2.

Is it possible to force breaks in WF, so that it will recognize the above sentence and my translation?

Thanks,

greg

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Post-translation Feb 22, 2008

Because the length of text will change, you don't know where the break accurs. After cleanup you have to go through the pages and introduce page-breaks where appropriate. You better remove all page-breaks before translation.
Cheers
Heinrich

France
Partial member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure Feb 22, 2008

Thank you for your response, but it would seem to me that if I could include page breaks in the TM, it should be possible to have WF process the segments automatically.

Incidentally, my workaround solution so far has been to edit the tags manually, at each end of page, to include the text at the beginning of the next page. This seems to work, but it is a bit slow..

I believe there should be a PB setting that allows me to specify that I don't want page breaks to be used as end of segment markers, but I can't seem to it..

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
do as Heinrich says Feb 22, 2008

First, I have the impression that page breaks and other breaks in Word are not the the same type of objects as new-line and paragraph marks, and it is thus unlikely that PB could handle them (easily). I'm by no means a Word expert, but AFAIK formating codes etc. in Word are not embedded in the text as they are in WordPerfect, but instead keyed to the text.

Even if you (could) maintain page breaks in the translation, you have no assurance that (or even any way of knowing whether) the translated text will break at the same places in the printed book (the publisher may decide to use a different font, different formatting, a different page size, etc.), and if you include page breaks in the text you only make the layout person's job more difficult.

It should be easy enough to do a global find and replace to eliminate all page breaks in your text before you start translating.

[Edited at 2008-02-22 17:51]

[Edited at 2008-02-22 17:52]

Of course, you may not want to eliminate all the page breaks, but unless the original author inserted them with gay abandon, it shouldn't take a lot of time to selectively delete the ones in the middle of senteces and (optionally) paragraphs.

[Edited at 2008-02-22 17:58]

France
Local time: 09:15
Partial member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You may be right Feb 22, 2008

Thanks Heinrich and Ken,

After spending a lot of time trying to include the page breaks and finally coming to the conclusion that it was breaking things, I've decided to take your advice and just delete them in the original and put them back in the end.

Background on why I wanted to keep them: the translation project is being done on a wiki site, with each individual (scanned) page of the original making up a web page, with comments and descriptions (this is a team translation project of a philosophy text). I would really have liked to keep the pagination on my computer exactly as it is on the website, but it turns out to be too much of a pain with WF.

Unless anyone else has any workarounds..

Shane Wall  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 14:15
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Not within a segment ... Feb 22, 2008

Wf will simply ignore Page Breaks and Section Breaks as well.

What you are talking about is a DTP issue. IMHO most CAT tools try their best in this area, but are no match for true DTP programs. Wf is no exception.

If I can make an analogy, you are asking a "cow to do a horse's job": Wf will provide you with all the translation efficiency 'milk' you need. DTP programs will provide you with all the layout 'speed' you need. However, the horse will always be faster than the cow!

In a nutshell, I think you are asking to buy "bread at the butcher shop".

Very interesting idea to test though! I'm gonna try this ... I'll let you know what happens!

Cheers,
Shane

www.translingualexpress.com

David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:15
English to Czech
Replace them with a code Feb 22, 2008

Gregory Flanders wrote:

After spending a lot of time trying to include the page breaks and finally coming to the conclusion that it was breaking things, I've decided to take your advice and just delete them in the original and put them back in the end.

Perhaps it's too late now but what you could do is to replace page breaks with a code like {PB} before you translate. During translation, simply replicate {PB} where appropriate in your translation. After translation, replace {PB} with page breaks again.

(By the way, if you are familiar with tagged documents, you could additionally mark the code with Internal style to make sure Wordfast treats it as a placeable. Alternatively, you can activate PlaceableBetween={} in Pandora's Box to achieve the same.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using page breaks in Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs