Thread poster: Ulrike G.
Ulrike G.
Ulrike G.  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
Member (2006)
English to German
Mar 12, 2008

Hi there,

has anybody already tried the new Word 2008 with Wordfast on his/her Mac? I am interested in any kinds of experiences. Many of my customer are already working with Word 2007, up to now I couldn't keep up because there was no comparable version for Mac. Now there is, but I'm not sure that it will run with Wordfast. Also I have heard gruesome stories of very instable behavior and so on. So anybody who has it, please let me/us have your impressions!

Thank you!!

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
probably won't work Mar 12, 2008

AFAIK Wordfast is implemented using VBA (Visual Basic for Applications), and MS eliminated VBA support in Office 2008 for the Mac (which probably means it will also be eliminated from the PC version sometime in the future).

refs:

The biggest downside in what would otherwise be an excellent upgrade: the elimination of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). In its place, Word 2008 offers limited support for AppleScript and Automator. Those replacements don’t offer the rec
... See more
AFAIK Wordfast is implemented using VBA (Visual Basic for Applications), and MS eliminated VBA support in Office 2008 for the Mac (which probably means it will also be eliminated from the PC version sometime in the future).

refs:

The biggest downside in what would otherwise be an excellent upgrade: the elimination of Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). In its place, Word 2008 offers limited support for AppleScript and Automator. Those replacements don’t offer the recording or other features that made it pretty simple to automate and customize Word 2004. If you’re accustomed to Word 2004’s automation features, you’re going to be disappointed in Word 2008.
http://www.macworld.com/article/131559/2008/01/word2008.html?t=201

Wordfast and Trados
All the code of Wordfast is in VBA. Trados 6 still contains Word 6 routines that are less and less supported with each new version of Word. ...
www.your-translations.com/why_wordfast.php

Now that VBA is dead in Office 2008, the Wordfast plug-in/macro used by translators is dead too! I hope the Wordfast developers can find a way around this ...
www.macintouch.com/readerreports/office2008/topic4504.html

[Edited at 2008-03-12 13:35]
Collapse

Ulrike G.
Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
How do I deal with docx/dotx files then? Mar 16, 2008

Thank you for your input. What is Word 2004's automation feature?

My problem is that many customers send files generated by Word 2007, which I was able to open using Pages (it was only a demo and has expired). So should I now buy Pages and convert all the files? There is a tool for downgrading Word 2007 files to 2003 on the net, but only for PCs. Do you know about a similar one for Macs?

Tahnk you!

Ulrike G.
Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Idea Mar 16, 2008

I know it doesn't strictly belong here, but I just had an idea. I might buy Word 2007 for PCs and use it on the PC side of my Mac, with Trados/SDLX. I could then keep using Wordfast with Word 2004 for Mac and still be able to convert everything from one to the other.

What do you suggest?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2008 (Mac) and Wordfast??

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »