Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 15, 2008

I have been using Wordfast for a while. I am now looking at a fairly large translation project where the lines between '##' signs do not need to be translated.

Example:
##~~Do not edit this line.2670~~##
What are the key milestones? When do we want to celebrate our successes?
How do we know if we are successful and how to measure this?
##~~Do not edit this line.2669~~##

How do I go about this using Wordfast 5.25e?

With thanks.
... See more
I have been using Wordfast for a while. I am now looking at a fairly large translation project where the lines between '##' signs do not need to be translated.

Example:
##~~Do not edit this line.2670~~##
What are the key milestones? When do we want to celebrate our successes?
How do we know if we are successful and how to measure this?
##~~Do not edit this line.2669~~##

How do I go about this using Wordfast 5.25e?

With thanks.

Wenke
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Untranslatable attributes Mar 15, 2008

By giving them an untranslatable attribute i.e. marching red ants around the text in question. Not sure how you go about finding and identifying all the ## sections (maybe find and replace with wild cards from Word?), but once you've identified them in Word, chose Format, Font then Text effects and then select "Marching red ants". Then in your Wordfast menu, select Setup, Segments, then "Use marching red ants as an untranslatable attribute". I use it when I'm translating a 2-column text with the... See more
By giving them an untranslatable attribute i.e. marching red ants around the text in question. Not sure how you go about finding and identifying all the ## sections (maybe find and replace with wild cards from Word?), but once you've identified them in Word, chose Format, Font then Text effects and then select "Marching red ants". Then in your Wordfast menu, select Setup, Segments, then "Use marching red ants as an untranslatable attribute". I use it when I'm translating a 2-column text with the source on one side and the target on the other and it works beautifully. If it's a long document, however, you'll want a surefire way of finding and highlighting them all - perhaps someone else can help with that?

Good luck!

Claire
Collapse

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Claire! Mar 15, 2008

This is excellent. I've just followed your suggestions and did a test run. It seems to work beautifully! Thank you very much.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
This is how Mar 16, 2008

Claire Cox wrote:
Not sure how you go about finding and identifying all the ## sections (maybe find and replace with wild cards from Word?), but once you've identified them in Word, chose Format, Font then Text effects and then select "Marching red ants".

Find what:
(##~~)(*)(~~##)
with wildcards enabled (click Advanced on the Find/Replace box)

Replace with:
\1\2\3
and while your cursor is in the Replace box, go Format (on the Find/Replace box), Font, Text effects, Marching red ants.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text between '##' signs not to be translated

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »