Thread poster: Stuart Dowell

Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:19
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2008

I want to buy Wordfast but I have the following need.

I have many repetitions in the texts that I translate but I often work from pdf scans.

If I start to type a sentence that I have previously translated will Wordfast recognise it (or at least the beginning of it) and prompt me to use the previously translated sentence?

This would be a huge help because at the moment I only have the option of manually retrieving the senetences or paragraphs using Windows search function.

Thanks for any advice.

Stuart

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, of course Mar 16, 2008

stuart dowell wrote:

I want to buy Wordfast but I have the following need.

I have many repetitions in the texts that I translate but I often work from pdf scans.

If I start to type a sentence that I have previously translated will Wordfast recognise it (or at least the beginning of it) and prompt me to use the previously translated sentence?

This would be a huge help because at the moment I only have the option of manually retrieving the senetences or paragraphs using Windows search function.

Thanks for any advice.

Stuart

Yes, of course. Wordfast proposes the closest matching segment. You can also use concordance search to see other sentences that contain the same couple of words. For example, you can highlight the beginning of a sentence, and click on the concordance search button; then a new page comes up with all the hits.
It is worth downloading the trial version (fully functional up to 500 segments - which is sufficiently high for that you can try it on medium-large texts). You can get a first hands-on experience, and decide to buy later. If you have repetitive texts then you'll find that CAT tools boost your productivity, and they also help you to be more consistent.
Wordfast's manual is very useful, too. By reading it, you will learn about a lot of useful functions.
Attila

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
WF doesn't offer this functionality Mar 16, 2008

stuart dowell wrote:

No. Wordfast doesn't autocomplete what you type. Wordfast can only recognise previous translations if you have source text in electronic format.

Investigate the posssibility of getting your PDFs typed by a typist (at perhaps 10% of your translation rate). Or invest in OCR software (although hiring a typist is sometimes better, especially if the PDF is of a bad quality or has vertical lines running across the text).

An autocompleter that I can recommend, is called LetMeType (abandonware, GPL). It only guesses about three words at a time (for security purposes, so no-one can grab your LMT file and recreate your documents from it). OpenOffice.org also has an autocomplete function but I find it lacking.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Of course, Samuel is right Mar 16, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

No. Wordfast doesn't autocomplete what you type. Wordfast can only recognise previous translations if you have source text in electronic format.

Sorry, I seem to have misunderstood what you were looking for. WF will help you when you have an electronic version of the source text - plus a TM that contains similar sentences.

Attila

Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2007)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your posts. Mar 16, 2008

Attila and Samuel,

Thanks for your posts.

I've looked at OCR software but I've found it lacking.

Hiring a typist is a good idea but in my case I can more or less handle the workload and the deadlines from the client are usually quite tight.

I just thought it would be quite a simple function to have with a CAT tool and it would really boost my productivity.

Thanks again,

Stuart

[Edited at 2008-03-16 17:27]

Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
English to French
Wordfast will soon offer that functionality Oct 6, 2009

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

stuart dowell wrote:

> No. Wordfast doesn't autocomplete what you type. Wordfast can only recognise previous translations if you have source text in electronic format.

Right, current implementations of Wordfast Classic lack AutoComplete/Suggest. But I've been working on those two issues. The WF beta group is already using the AutoComplete (autocomplete terminology and placeables) featuire, which will debut soon - before month's end.

AutoSuggest (a possible translation being presented in an autocomplete manner). The current way - the target segment prefilled with a possible translation - is the standard way CAT tools work, making AutoSuggest unnecessary. Still, AutoSuggest may be implemented soon for Machine Translation - possible translations that are often rejected, or for cases when the Translation Memory has multiple choices to offer.

Cheers,
Yves

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text prompt function?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs