Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 25, 2011

G'day everyone

From what I read in the first three threads in this forum about XTM, I wasn't excited, but after seeing a video on Youtube and after watching XTM's own introductory video's, I'm a bit more interested. I prefer canvas based translation tools (e.g. TagEditor and MS Word-based tools) but there is something to be said for letterbox based tools, including web-based tools like XTM.

The video on Youtube is:
... See more
G'day everyone

From what I read in the first three threads in this forum about XTM, I wasn't excited, but after seeing a video on Youtube and after watching XTM's own introductory video's, I'm a bit more interested. I prefer canvas based translation tools (e.g. TagEditor and MS Word-based tools) but there is something to be said for letterbox based tools, including web-based tools like XTM.

The video on Youtube is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mel3Frmhhzo

The video I saw is:
http://www.xtm-intl.com/files/content/xtm/demos/XTM%20Workbench.mp4

I'm relieved with a number of things, e.g. that one can customise the keyboard shortcuts, and that one can do concordance searches easily, etc.

I have some questions for people who have used XTM recently:

1. The comments feature

I see that I can add a comment to a certain source segment. Can I also add a comment to a source text word or phrase? I mean, if I have my doubts about how to translate something, can I add a comment to that phrase, so that whenever a colleague gets to a segment that contains that word or phrase, that he can see my comment?

And if so, can I also use wildcards or alternates when adding comments to phrases (e.g. if I want to add a comment to the word "brought", can I set it so that the comment is also shown for the word "bring")?

Can translators reply to each other's comments, and are translators told when there are replies available to some of their previous comments?

Can translators choose to jump directly to segments that contain comments (or to filter out segments that have or don't have comments)?

2. The QA system and glossaries

From the video it appears that the QA system basically does spell-checking and punctuation checking. Can the QA system also check for untranslatables such as non-translation of proper nouns?

Can the QA system check whether words from the glossary were used? Is there a blacklist feature (i.e. it checks that certain words are not used in the target text)?

Can individual translators in a group create their own glossaries that are not seen by other translators (e.g. if they want to add stuff to the glossaries temporarily, which may not be useful for other translators)? How easy is it to add terms to a glossary?

3. Google Translate, and fuzzy matches

I see that one can view the Google Translate match below the target segment, but can one also set it so that the Google Translate match is automatically inserted into the target field? Can one have fuzzy matches inserted into the target segment automatically, and can one cycle through them in that field, or does one have to first examine the fuzzy matches below the source text before deciding which one to use?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export/import of XLIFF May 25, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:
I have some questions for people who have used XTM recently...

Another question: I created project uploaded the file, and downloaded the XLIFF file. I then made one change to the XLIFF file and uploaded it again. However, when I then go to the editor, the change that I had made in the XLIFF file is not reflected anywhere in the editor. What am I missing?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Awful video May 25, 2011

Once opened the music goes on forever. I had to close the browser with all tabs.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Video? Browser? May 25, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Once opened the music goes on forever. I had to close the browser with all tabs.

An MP4 file is a media file. Why would you want to open it in your browser?

Some browsers hang when playing media files (or the tab that contains the playing media file, hangs). For this very reason I never open media files in my browser (except Flash-based media, e.g. Youtube). That's what a media player is for.

The music on the Workbench video is still okay. I couldn't finish watching the Terminology video, because I found the music so irritating (elevator music, and twice as loud as the speaker's voice). The Workbench video was quite useful to me, and I had no urges to gnaw off any extremities. The YouTube video unfortunately has low resolution, and one has to listen carefully to get past the speaker's accent, but it is useful nonetheless, with extra tips not present in the official XTM video.

From what I saw on the videos, XTM is impressive.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

More questions about XTM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »