global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
KudoZ home » English » Education / Pedagogy

Graduate Certificate/Graduate Diploma/Masters Degree


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
17:20 Apr 23, 2009
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Other

English to English translations [PRO]
Social Sciences - Education / Pedagogy
English term or phrase: Graduate Certificate/Graduate Diploma/Masters Degree
The Australian plant biosecurity program will cover both Australian and international plant biosecurity issues and will include a Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma, and Masters Degree in Plant Biosecurity.

I am struggling a little bit to translate these three different diplomas in my own language/educational system. I can't make a difference between them! For me, they all correspond to 4/5 years at the university (second cycle) and will be followed by a postgraduate diploma (PhD - third cycle). Usually these diplomas are obtained at the age of 21-23...

Could someone clarify this for me?

Michel A.
Local time: 13:28

Summary of answers provided
3 +5explained below
46 months post Bachelor degree, Graduate Diploma, equivalent French DESS, Masters at least French DEAcwacyk
Summary of reference entries provided
Maybe this helps:
Sabine Akabayov, PhD



5 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5 peer agreement (net): +5
graduate certificate/graduate diploma/masters degree
explained below

Ok, here's how I understand the difference:

1. a Masters degree is a sub-category of a graduate diploma
2. a graduate diploma may be Masters or PhD
3. a graduate certificate is lower in rank that a diploma or degree as it usually involves a shorter course of study ( it could be only a few months).

And, I do not think that these degrees are obtained at 21-23; more likely at 25-35 :)

Local time: 19:28
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish, Native in SlovenianSlovenian

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  MD Taher
14 mins
  -> Thanks, Mohamed!

agree  Andres Pacheco
39 mins
  -> Thanks, Andres!

agree  UlrikeA
1 hr
  -> Thanks, UlrikeA

agree  Phong Le
5 hrs
  -> Thanks, Phong

agree  humbird
1 day11 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

182 days   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
graduate certificate/graduate diploma/masters degree
6 months post Bachelor degree, Graduate Diploma, equivalent French DESS, Masters at least French DEA

In Canada are Graduate Diploma is a Postgraduate Diploma in French DESS. A graduate certificate is usually 6 months at postgraduate level. Postgraduate is post Bachelors degree. A 4 year French Licence or Maitrise would correspond to an Australian Bachelor degree. In the Canadian system the Bachelor's is a Baccalaureat. A Master's degree is Australia is 2 years after a Bachelor degree an is at least the equivalent to a French DEA.

Local time: 18:28
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Reference comments

24 mins peer agreement (net): +1
Reference: Maybe this helps:

Reference information:
The certificae is the shortest (6 month) and can also be earned with no prior university degree. The Diploma (1 year) and master degree (1-2 year) are much longer and require an undergraduate degree.

Sabine Akabayov, PhD
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in category: 4

Peer comments on this reference comment (and responses from the reference poster)
agree  lirka: great reference
9 mins
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also: