Reunion of Northern Schleswig (with Denmark)
The phrase is Danish.
After the First World War a plesbiscite was held. In the northern part of Schleswig 75% voted for Denmark, and in the middle part of Schleswig 80% voted for Germany. In Dybb¸l about 90% voted for Denmark. According to the referendum the duchy was divided into two parts, and the northern part of Schleswig was incorporated in Denmark and has been Danish ever since. The Dybb¸l Fortifications and battlefield was now situated in Denmark. After the reunification Dybb¸l Hill and the battlefield on Als were still topped by the 22-metre-high monuments of the German victory. In 1920, there were talks about delivering them to Germany, but the proposal was dismissed by the German side. Memorials should remain on the spot where they were erected. Now the Danes began to turn the battlefields in to Danish places of commemorations. All over the former battlefields at Dybb¸l and Als memorials were set up in the 1920s and 1930s to honour Danish soldiers fallen in the battles. To day there are registered a total of 570 gravestones and memorials, most of them are Danish. In 1930, a large obelisk was set up to commemorate the Scandinavian volunteers in the two Danish-German wars.