Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.
You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
|English to Spanish translations [Non-PRO]|
|English term or phrase: chant|
|This term is used in the following context:|
"The student memorizs rhymes, songs and chants."
tipo de canciòn religioso
Selected response from:
2 KudoZ points were awarded for this answer
chant [chant ] noun (plural chants)
1. phrase spoken repeatedly by crowd: a phrase or slogan repeatedly and rhythmically spoken, often with a simple singsong intonation, especially in unison by a crowd or group
2. MUSIC music for religious passage: a musical passage in which words or syllables are sung on the same note, or a single word or syllable is sung on a series of notes. Chants are used in psalms, canticles, and other parts of a religious service.
3. CHRISTIANITY hymn or prayer sung to chant: a psalm, hymn, or prayer sung to a chant
4. something spoken monotonously or repetitiously: a monotonous or repetitive song or intonation of the voice
vti (past chant·ed, past participle chant·ed, present participle chant·ing, 3rd person present singular chants)
1. repeat slogan continually: to speak a slogan repeatedly and rhythmically with a simple singsong intonation
2. CHRISTIANITY sing hymn or prayer as chant: to sing or intone part of a religious service as a chant
3. utter monotonously: to speak or sing something monotonously
[14th century. Via French, "song," from Latin cantus , from the past participle of canere "to sing" (source of English accent and incentive).]
Encarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] © & (P) 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Developed for Microsoft
|Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)|
Return to KudoZ list
KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.
Search millions of term translations