KudoZ home » French to English » Transport / Transportation / Shipping

noeuds d'eclatement

English translation: splintering-off points

Advertisement

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
17:02 Aug 25, 2008
French to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Transport / Transportation / Shipping
French term or phrase: noeuds d'eclatement
la determination de sites pour gares principales avec parkings (incitatifs) a amenager pour vehicules des prives aux importants noeuds d'eclatement
Shilpa Dawda
India
Local time: 14:34
English translation:splintering-off points
Explanation:
Though intimately linked to the notion of "hub", the scarcity of this term on the Ouèbbhe suggests to me that something different might be required here. A hub "concentrates" traffic which can be seen as flowing inwards to the hub, crossing over, and going in relatively comparable proportions in each direction. Imagine the spokes of a bicycle wheel.

"Eclatement" to me suggests that there is a primary route carrying large amounts of traffic in both directions, and a number of subsidiary routes radiating from that point, each carrying smaller amounts of traffic in each direction. Imagine a bicycle wheel on which 75% of the spokes have been put in the same position and the remaining 25% distributed over the remaining space.

In a 4-branch diagram, a hub would be two intersecting lines, a "splintering-off point" would be trident.

There has to be a better word, however.

--------------------------------------------------
Note added at 32 mins (2008-08-25 17:34:55 GMT)
--------------------------------------------------

In logisitics something like "break-bulk point" might work, but not here.
Selected response from:

xxxBourth
Local time: 11:04
Grading comment
4 KudoZ points were awarded for this answer

Advertisement


Summary of answers provided
4 +3dispersal points
kashew
4 +1traffic hubs
Emma Paulay
4transport hubs
B D Finch
4junction pointsEllen Kraus
3traffic interchangesMatthewLaSon
3splintering-off pointsxxxBourth


  

Answers


8 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +1
traffic hubs


Explanation:
The points where several means of transport are brought together e.g. railway, tram and road. Or where several major roads or lines converge like Châtelet Les Halles métro in Paris.

important noeuds d'éclatement=major traffic hubs


    Reference: http://en.beijing2008.cn/news/olympiccities/beijing/n2142133...
Emma Paulay
France
Local time: 11:04
Works in field
Native speaker of: English
PRO pts in category: 38

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Sheila Wilson
2 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

13 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
junction points


Explanation:

could imagine this term to fit here

Ellen Kraus
Austria
Local time: 11:04
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

31 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
splintering-off points


Explanation:
Though intimately linked to the notion of "hub", the scarcity of this term on the Ouèbbhe suggests to me that something different might be required here. A hub "concentrates" traffic which can be seen as flowing inwards to the hub, crossing over, and going in relatively comparable proportions in each direction. Imagine the spokes of a bicycle wheel.

"Eclatement" to me suggests that there is a primary route carrying large amounts of traffic in both directions, and a number of subsidiary routes radiating from that point, each carrying smaller amounts of traffic in each direction. Imagine a bicycle wheel on which 75% of the spokes have been put in the same position and the remaining 25% distributed over the remaining space.

In a 4-branch diagram, a hub would be two intersecting lines, a "splintering-off point" would be trident.

There has to be a better word, however.

--------------------------------------------------
Note added at 32 mins (2008-08-25 17:34:55 GMT)
--------------------------------------------------

In logisitics something like "break-bulk point" might work, but not here.

xxxBourth
Local time: 11:04
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 487
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

2 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +3
dispersal points


Explanation:
*

kashew
France
Local time: 11:04
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 123

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Sheila Wilson
12 mins
  -> Thanks!

agree  xxxBourth: Better than splintering off!
1 hr
  -> Thanks a lot!

agree  atche84
4 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

4 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
transport hubs


Explanation:
Transport rather than traffic, because the latter would, in a technical context, be used more about volume than about diversified provision.

"1.1 Overarching Transport Strategy:
Transport hubs
...
Objective

To provide integrated nodes across the Borough where modal integration and interchange is encouraged and enhanced.

Principles
Provide a frequent public transport service to a number of key destinations.
Provide cycle parking and cycle links to the hubs.
Provide fully accessible walk links between modes and to nearby residential and commercial areas.
Provide secure car parking to facilitate park-and-ride.
Provide up-to-date information on service operation across all modes.
Provide associated infrastructure of a high quality, such as waiting and retail facilities."

"Regional transport hubs are those settlements where the provision of (or. potential to provide) a range of multi-modal transport services supports the ..."


--------------------------------------------------
Note added at 4 hrs (2008-08-25 21:05:53 GMT)
--------------------------------------------------

The last quote got cut off, the whole thing is:
"In accordance with the Regional Transport Strategy (RTS) that was published in July 2004, Part 1 of the South East Plan currently identifies 17 regional hubs. These are settlements where the provision of (or potential to provide) a range of multi-modal transport services supports the concentration of land uses and economic activity."


    Reference: http://www.redcar-cleveland.gov.uk/main.nsf/Web+Full+List/F4...
    Reference: http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/.../BA627A4B-E454-4FEE-8DDD-FB1...
B D Finch
France
Local time: 11:04
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 126
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

4 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
traffic interchanges


Explanation:
Hello,

That's my understanding. Would they really be "hub" in this context? I'm not so sure.

I hope this helps.

MatthewLaSon
Local time: 05:04
Works in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 35
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)




Return to KudoZ list


KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.



See also:



Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search