KudoZ home » German to English » Education / Pedagogy



Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
07:31 Nov 7, 2007
German to English translations [PRO]
Social Sciences - Education / Pedagogy
German term or phrase: Gesamthochschule
Ich habe einen Seminarschein zu uebersetzen, der an einer Gesamthochschule ausgestellt wurde. In dem Zusammenhang werde ich noch weitere Fragen posten.

Summary of answers provided
5 +1Comprehensive university/polytechnic
Frances Bryce

Discussion entries: 1



14 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5 peer agreement (net): +1
Comprehensive university/polytechnic


Note added at 16 mins (2007-11-07 07:47:26 GMT)

I have somehow managed to delete my previous entry and can't seem to get it back. Oh the wonders of technology.

Anyway... thanks to Mustafa for his agreement and comments:

Mustafa Er (BSc MA): Die Gesamthochschule (abgekürzt GH oder GHS) war eine universitäre Hochschulform, die ein Hochschulstudium in bestimmten so genannten "integrierten Studiengängen" sowohl mit Fachhochschulreife (Fachabitur) als auch mit (Hochschulreife) Abitur ermöglichte.

Note added at 18 mins (2007-11-07 07:49:26 GMT)

I think in your context I would be inclined to use "comprehensive university" as it is more descriptive and polytechnic is more of a term used for particular types of institution within the British system

Frances Bryce
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:34
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 4

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  xxxhazmatgerman: I'd be very careful with "polytechnic"; as far as I know they've been morphed into low-tier universities some years ago.
2 hrs
  -> yes this is true..... the old distinction bet. polytechnics & 'red-brick' universities has officially gone and now in England there are just UNIVERSITIES. However, there is still a real distinction in people's minds bet. old polys & REAL universities
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

Changes made by editors
Nov 7, 2007 - Changes made by Steffen Walter:
FieldOther » Social Sciences
Nov 7, 2007 - Changes made by Steffen Walter:
LevelNon-PRO » PRO

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search