global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
KudoZ home » Spanish to English » Law (general)

Licenciada en Derecho


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
17:47 Apr 26, 2013
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Other

Spanish to English translations [PRO]
Law/Patents - Law (general) / Degree equivalence between Spain and US
Spanish term or phrase: Licenciada en Derecho
This is the name of a degree awarded a female student at a Spanish university in within the last ten years.

Here is the question:

The invidividual who has contracted the translation is requesting that the text "Ph.D." be included in the translation of the document (which is to be notarized with the usual signed statement that it is "a true and accurate translation"). My concern here is that such text does not appear in the original document. Furthermore, practicing lawyers in the US generally earn a "J.D." degree, and not Ph.D.s.

The person who earned this degree is seeking recognition of her credentials in the US, and hence her concern.

What solution do you suggest here?

Thank you.
Robert Forstag
United States
Local time: 04:24

Discussion entries: 10


Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also: